Instant pot Spanish rice is an easy, quick, flavorful rice. This rice has a distinctive taste of tomatoes which makes it different from others. The Spanish rice is vegan and gluten-free also.
The instant pot has made this so easy and quick you can add this to your lazy dinner or lunch menu. Also, this is made with few pantry staples and you really don't need to plan and prepare. This is also popular as Mexican rice.
This is a great side dish served with tacos, burritos, refried beans, etc. Though we can make this rice on the stovetop as well, I prefer to make this in my instant pot. This is so much easy to make this flavorful Spanish rice in my instant pot. Saute, add the rice and add spices, broth. Set time and mode and forget. And a fluffy perfectly cooked rice is ready.
Reasons I love this recipe -
It's delicious and flavorful
IP makes the cooking easy
No need to pay attention
Quick recipe - takes hardly 15 minutes
Versatile, can be customized
Gluten-free, vegan, Plant-based
Ingredients for Spanish Rice
Rice - Long grain rice is the best one for this Spanish rice. You can also use brown rice but timing will be a little late.
Tomato - Tomatoes add distinct flavor to the rice. You can take chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Salsa is a great option since it makes the rice more delicious.
Jalapeno - This rice is spicy. The jalapeno adds more flavor and heat to the rice. If you don't like spicy food, reduce the amount of jalapeno and remove the seeds.
Broth - Traditionally this rice is made with chicken broth. However, for a vegetarian or vegan version use vegetable broth. Water won't make this that flavorful.
Spices - Common spice we use here are cumin powder, chili powder, salt. You can also add paprika to the rice.
How to make Spanish Rice in an Instant Pot?
Start the instant pot on saute mode. Add oil to the inner pot once it's hot. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno. Saute for 15 - 20 seconds, No need to make them brown or translucent.
Add rinsed rice. And saute for 2 minutes. Then add the spices, vegetable broth and give them a nice stir deglazing the pot. Then add salsa and don't stir them.
Cancel the sauté function. Close the lid and seal the venting knob. Start the IP on pressure cook mode for 4 minutes. After it's done and beep, let it be on natural pressure release for 4 - 5 minutes. Then release pressure for the rest and open the lid.
Fluff the rice mixing salsa and add lots of finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Recipe Card for Instant Pot Spanish Rice
Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Start the instant pot on saute mode.
- Add oil to the inner pot once it's hot.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeno.
- Saute for 15 - 20 seconds. No need to make them brown or translucent.
- Add rinsed rice. And saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the spices, vegetable broth and give them a nice stir deglazing the pot.
- Then add salsa and don't stir them.
- Cancel the sauté function.
- Close the lid and seal the venting knob.
- Start the IP on manual pressure cook mode for 4 minutes.
- After it's done and beep, let it be on natural pressure release for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Then release pressure for the rest and open the lid.
- Fluff the rice mixing salsa and add lots of finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Spanish rice is ready to serve now.
PIN IT FOR LATER