This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Spicy tofu fajitas are great for a quick vegan meal. These are deliciously flavorful and hardly takes 30 minutes. This plant-based recipe is packed with healthy vegetables and protein rich tofu. Makes a great vegan dinner.
These vegan fajitas with tofu are too easy and quick meal. You can also make them on stovetop, or bake them or simply use your air fryer. Air fryers are great savior in hot summers when you want to bake some thing. It’s really quick and easy to make this recipe in air fryer too.
Fajitas are quiet popular Mexican recipe. This is a vegan version of fajitas with tofu and colorful vegetable. You can also add mushrooms to your vegetarian fajitas. This is great addition to my easy vegan recipes in fact for dinner.
How to make tofu fajitas?
This tofu fajitas is an easy recipe with few ingredients. These vegetarian fajita are loaded with veggies.
Tofu – extra firm tofu. Press hard the tofu to remove the excess liquid.
Vegetables – red bell peppers, yellow peppers, green peppers, yellow onions, tomatoes, mushrooms.
Spices – cumin powder, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper powder, lime juice
Press tofu using a tofu press or any heavy objects. Then cut the tofu into stripes.
In a plate or bowl take 1/4 cup cornstarch and add a little salt to it. Then roll the tofu stripes on corn flour to coat it nicely. This will make the tofu crispy. However this step is optional if you don’t want the tofu with a crispy texture.
Heat oil in a pan and pan fry the coated tofu. Flip and make sure all sides cooked nicely. Remove once the tofu is done.
In the same pan, add oil if required. Add all the vegetables and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and sauté. Add spices followed by little water so that the veggies and tofu will get nicely coated with the spices.
Cook them veggies and tofu for 3 – 4 minutes or till veggies are cooked tender and soaked up all flavors of the spices.
Bake Fajita Veggies in an Oven
Preheat the oven at 380F.
Slice the vegetables and tofu into stripes. Prepare the marinade by mixing the spices with 1/4 cup water. Place the veggies and tofu on a baking sheet and pour in the spice mixture. Mix them all nicely.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes or at 425 F for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven once done perfectly. If required can flip in the midways. Now assemble and serve on the tortilla along with other toppings.
Air Fry Fajita Veggies
Preheat the air fryer. You may skip preheating if your air fryer brand specifies so. Mix the fajita sauce (spices + water) with the sliced veggies. Keep aside for the veggies to get marinated for 10 – 15 minutes. However this is optional.
Spread the veggies inside the air fryer basket. Spray the veggies with a little oil. Start the air fryer at 400 F for 15 minutes. Toss them the halfway at around 7 minutes mark. Remove once done and veggies look tender and little charred edges. Serve with tortillas and extra toppings and vegan crema.
Recipe card for Tofu Fajitas
Spicy Tofu Fajita (Vegan Fajita)
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 cup cabbage slaw
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, jalapeno
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves
- vegan sour cream or cilantro crema or any sauce of choice
- Press the tofu hard extracting the excess water.1 block tofu
- Cut the tofu into stripes.
- Now heat oil in a skillet.
- Now place the corn flour on a plate and season with a pinch of salt.
- Now dip the tofu stripe into the flour so that it's coated with flour.
- Repeat for all stripes.
- Place the coated tofu in hot oil.
- Remove from pan when cooked well for 3 – 5 minutes.
- In the same pan, add a little oil if required.
- Now add sliced veggies to the pan.
- Stir fry for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Now add the tofu followed by fajita spices mentioned above in the ingredients list under fajita seasonings (along with water).
- Mix them gently and cook for 3 minutes on low flame till flavor is soaked by veggies.
- Cook until veggies are soft and tender.
- Turn off heat once done.
Assemble the tofu fajitas
- Heat the tortillas in a skillet or in microwave.
- Or using a tong heat the tortillas on direct flame.
- Place the tofu fajitas and top the extra toppings mentioned above in the ingredients list.
PIN IT FOR LATER