This post contains amazon affiliate links.
This vegan fruity broccoli salad is a perfect side dish for your quick dinner. Broccoli salad is not only easy and quick to prepare but is loaded with vitamins, minerals. And hence a perfectly healthy salad.
This broccoli salad is not only vegan, gluten-free but also healthy as well. In fact, all salads are healthy but again since this salad has no mayo and no fat, this is healthier than mayo-based salads. The fruity broccoli salad is tangy, sweet with crunchy bites.
I never liked to eat raw veggies before. I don’t like actually and never tried before my fruity broccoli salad. But now I make that once a week. I loved it. It never felt like eating raw vegetable. And once it soaks up the flavour of the vinaigrette, it’s like only crunchy flavourful bites what I eat.
Broccoli – A Superfood
Broccoli is a superfood for a good number of reasons. This vegetable is a low-carb and low-calorie vegetable. It belongs to the cruciferous family just like cauliflower, kale, etc. And no doubt this is equally healthy like other members of the cruciferous family.
Broccoli is a storehouse of many vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. This versatile vegetable can be added in cooked or raw form for a healthy diet. Also, read my collection of healthy broccoli recipes (Vegan/vegetarian) on the blog.
This is also a rich source of antioxidants and antioxidants help in reducing the damage caused by free radicals and improves our immunity against many chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart diseases, renal diseases, etc. (Source)
Few of the health benefits of broccoli are:
- Protects healthy cells from free radicals and reduces the chances of many chronic diseases.
- Helps in blood sugar control and improves diabetic condition.
- High fiber helps in the proper excretion of bad cholesterol thus keeping the heart healthy and prevents cardiac diseases.
- High fiber keeps the digestive system and the gut clean, healthy with proper bowel movement and excretion of fat.
- This also helps in less absorption of fat and helps in weight loss. Also reduces constipation.
- May have a protective effect on brain tissues and supports healthy brain function.
Why this broccoli salad is healthy?
And more than anything, this has my favorite broccoli and no mayo, no cream, no fat. So a healthy salad or side dish for your dinner. I will tell you why you will love my fruity broccoli salad.
- Great side dish
- Has goodness of fruits also
- Easy to make
- Quick 10 minutes dish
- Perfect combination of flavors
- Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
- No mayo, no cream, no nuts, no fat
- Simple salad dressing
All the reason makes me prepare this at least once every week. You can try this simple fruity vegan broccoli salad with simple salad dressing.
Some delicious broccoli recipes:
Can I refrigerate this vegan broccoli salad?
Absolutely yes. This tastes even better when we leave it for some hours as the flavors get really soaked up by the veggies and fruits. This salad goes best for 4 – 5 days in the refrigerator.
How to cut broccoli for raw broccoli salad?
Since this broccoli salad has raw broccoli, the best way to chop the broccoli into smaller chunks. Larger bites also may not absorb the flavors of dressing properly and will have a chewy texture. It may not be a pleasant experience.
Cut the hard end of the stalk. Divide the broccoli head into bite-sized florets with stalks. Again from the florets cut out the tender stalks. Now cut the tender stalks into juliennes or small pieces. Now again the florets into small chunks by a sharp chef’s knife.
Vegan Broccoli Salad
This is a easy broccoli salad with combination of some sweet tangy fruits and simple red wine vinaigrette.
Broccoli + apple + red pepper + tangerine + red onion
For vinaigrette :
Red wine vinegar + maple syrup + extra virgin olive oil + Dijon mustard + salt + pepper
You can replace red wine vinegar with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar also.
Chop the broccoli, onion, apple, red pepper to fine pieces. Transfer them to a mixing bowl.
Now take a jar and mix the ingredients for vinaigrette. Close the lid and shake well to mix the ingredients nicely.
Now pour the salad dressing into the broccoli and fruit mix bowl. Give them a nice toss. Let the salad rest for 15- 30 minutes before serving so that all flavors will mix-up nicely. However, you can serve it immediately as well.
Recipe Card for Vegan Broccoli Salad
Vegan Broccoli Salad
- 1 broccoli head medium head
- 1 tangerine or orange
- 1 apple
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper
- Wash and clean the broccoli.
- Cut out the hard part of the stalk.
- Break the broccoli into small florets.
- Now cut the tender stalk from the florets and chop it into thin julliens.
- Then cut the broccoli florets into small pieces. (I love smaller chunks)
- Cut the fruits into small pieces.
- Deseed the orange and chop or leave it whole.
- Chop onion and red pepper into fine pieces.
- Place all the chopped things into a large mixing bowl.
- Now take a small jar.
- Into the jar add the ingredients mentioned above under vinnaigrette section.
- Shake well so that they will be mixed well.
- Now pour in the vinaigrette into the bowl of veggies and fruits.
- Give a nice gentle stir.
- Let it rest for some time before serving. this will help in absorbing the flavors.
Pin it for later