Air fryer hash browns are the perfect crispy crunchy addition to your breakfast menu. Serve this as an appetizer or side, this is just so perfectly crispy made in the air fryer.
The air fryer acts as an oven and it spins the hot air and hence cooks the food in the same way as an oven but more rapidly. So you will get the same result with lesser time. Try my air fryer cauliflower and air fryer buffalo cauliflower, air fryer tater tots also.
Potato hash browns are also easy to make in the air fryer. Also, there are a few tricks to get the hash browns crispy. You can always play around with your seasonings if you want to add any.
Tips for best crispy hash browns in air fryer
These tips and tricks are important to get perfect crispy hash browns in air fryer.
- After shredding the potatoes, rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Place them on a colander and wash off under tap water.
- Then transfer the potatoes to a big bowl and add cold water to it. Soak them in cold water for minimum 20 - 30 minutes for best results.
- After that remove from water by passing through a sieve. Wipe them with a clean paper napkin.
Washing potatoes and soaking them is really important as it removes the extra starch. Excess starch will make the potatoes soggy and not crispy at all. So this step is important to get crispy hash browns.
How to make crispy hash browns in an air fryer?
Air fryer hash browns are quick and easy to make with few ingredients only. No fancy ingredients are required to make the hash browns.
Potatoes, Corn starch, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Salt, Oil. You can also add any of your favorite seasonings to this. Here corn starch will help in keeping the potatoes together and makes the hash brown crispier. However, you can skip this also.
Use the box grater to shred the potatoes. You can peel off the skin or leave it by cleaning thoroughly. Here I have removed the peel.
Then transfer the shredded potatoes to a sieve or colander and wash them off immediately to drain out excess starch.
Keep it in a bowl and add chilled water to the bowl. Soak in cold water for a minimum of 15 - 30 minutes. Then drain out the water and place the shredded potatoes on a clean paper towel. Wipe and dry out the shredded potatoes.
Place the dry potatoes in a clean dry mixing bowl. Add corn starch, seasoning, salt, oil. Mix gently.
Now grease the air fryer basket. Place 2 tbsp of shredded potato mixture in the basket. Repeat for all the mixture. To make a perfect disc, with help of a cookie cutter make a small patty like hash browns. Place them in the air fryer.
Start the air fryer at 380 F for 20 minutes. Pause at 10 minutes and check. Flip the hash browns though it's not required, I prefer to do that just to ensure it's even cooked.
Extra Tips To Make Crispy Hash Browns In Air Fryer
Smaller air fryers may take a little lesser time like 15 minutes - 12 minutes to make these crispy hash browns.
But since all air fryers are not the same, keep an eye on them once they reach the 10-minute mark. And cook till it looks crispy and golden brown.
If you are making larger discs try to make them not so thick as it will leave the center uncooked. Also, make discs of even thickness and not so thicker layers.
You can also simply spread it inside making a thin bed of potatoes. Cut while serve.
Spray oil on top of the potato discs and also when you flip them. This gives a beautiful nice golden color easily.
Add any favorite seasonings to the potatoes.
What to serve with air fryer hash browns?
Serve these crispy healthy air fryer hash browns along with your favorite breakfast menu like fluffy pancakes, crepes, sandwiches. Even pairs up well with chocolaty banana bread and baked peanut butter oatmeal.
Crispy Air Fryer Hash Browns
Air Fryer Hash Browns From Scratch
Preparation - Most Important step
- Wash and clean the potatoes.
- Peel out the skin or just brush it and leave the skin on.
- Use a box grater and shred the potatoes.
- Now transfer the grated potatoes to a large colander and run through fresh tap water.
- This will help in removing extra starch from the potatoes and it will not be soggy.
- Now add ice cold water to the bowl of shredded potatoes.
- Soak them for a good 30 minutes.
- Now again remove them from water.
- Using a clean kitchen towel dry out the shredded potatoes.
- Transfer the wiped and dry grated potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
Prepare the mixture of hash brown
- In the large mixing bowl add grated potatoes, corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oil.
- Mix them nicely.
- Grease the basket lightly with spray or brushing.
- Now take 2 tbsp of the mixture and place on the basket.
- Shape it to a small disc.
- To make perfect disc, use a cookie cutter.
Air-frying the hash browns
- Now start your air fryer at 380 F for 20 minutes.
- Check at around 10 minutes and flip if required.
- Then again spray little oil on the top layer.
- Cook again for rest 10 minutes or until it turns golden..
PIN IT FOR LATER