Masala Uttapam is a variety of uttapam which is made with cooked spicy potatoes. This is another easy tiffin box recipe for kids.
I love to make something different on our menu on weekends. So I normally keep this for my Sunday breakfast menu. But this is equally easy to make on weekdays if you have made the batter and the potato masala well in advance and refrigerate. So in the morning, it takes hardly 15 minutes to make a serving of 2 - 3 people.
This is also called a sandwich uttapam in some places. In this recipe, the top layer is spiced potato masala. But if you want, you can layer the top with the same batter. Soon I will make and share the recipe here.
So the recipe for Udipi style sandwich uttapam is here.
- 1 kg Idli dosa batter
- 10 tsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 5 tsp garam masala or sambar masala or as required
Preparing potato masala
- Boil potatoes till they are cooked.
- Remove skin of potatoes and mash it completely.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Let them splutter.
- Now add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- Add a pinch of hing and curry leaves.
- Then add chopped or sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- Now add salt and turmeric powder and mix.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well.
- If it looks too dry, then add 5- 6 tbsp water to make it little mashy.
- Remove from heat and add coriander leaves.
- Stir well.
- Heat tawa/ dosa tawa/ flat pan.
- Grease the pan with onion halves or with help of a paper napkin.
- Pour a ladleful of batter on tawa. (keep on low flame)
- Spread lightly with gentle hand keeping the layer thick.
- Quickly sprinkle garam masala, chopped onion and tomatoes.
- Next spread potato stuffing mixture on top layer.
- Gently press the potatoes so that it will stick nicely to the batter.
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil on sides of uttapam.
- Once base is crisp and cooked, it starts leaving sides.
- Now flip it gently and cook for 1 minute on low flame.
- Then remove from heat and serve hot chutney or sambar.
How to make masala uttapam?
This recipe has 3 steps, i.e. making the batter, making potato masala, making uttapam.
Preparing batter for uttapam
As I said the batter is the same as other dosa and idli, you may check out my masala dosa recipe for the batter. In the same recipe, you will get notes on how to make spicy potatoes for dosa and uttapam.
Preparing spicy potato
Prepare batter & potato stuffing well in advance. In stuffing potatoes, mustard seeds, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt are used as tempering to boiled and mashed potatoes.
Boil and mash potatoes nicely with help of a masher or fork.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and let it crackle.
Then add chopped garlic, curry leaves, green chilies, chopped onion, and saute till translucent.
Add turmeric powder, salt. In 10 seconds add mashed potatoes and mix well. Saute for a minute and then turn off heat.
Add coriander leaves and mix well.
Preparing Masala Uttapam
Heat flat tawa or dosa tawa. Grease it with help of onion halves or crown of brinjal or with a paper napkin.
Pour ladleful of batter on tawa.
Spread it gently keeping the layer thick like uttapam. Pour 1 tsp oil on sides.
Very quickly sprinkle some finely chopped onion, tomatoes and garam masala.
Next spread potato masala quickly on top of uttapam. Keep flame on low during the process so that masala will stick on top.
Lightly press the masala with help of a spatula.
When the base is crisp and cooked it leaves sides. Slowly flip to other side.
Keep for 1 minute on low flame. Then remove from pan and serve hot.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.