Potato stir-fry is a quick side dish. Though this looks like French fries or finger fries, this won't be crispy like the earlier ones in texture and taste-wise too. If you are looking for some easy vegan potato recipes, this is a lifesaver.
This potato stir-fry is vegan and gluten-free and takes hardly 10 minutes just like sauteed green peas. This stir-fried potato is my all-time favorite and a lifesaver too. These are soft and you need to follow few tricks to not make them soggy or mushy while making this potato stir-fry.
This is an easy and quick recipe that does not require any fancy ingredients. Only few staple spices and a quick potato side dish is ready for your dinner menu.
Who doesn't like potatoes!! I love them. I'm addicted to potatoes like anything. And it combines well with any other vegetables so perfectly. Some examples are Eggplant potato curry, mixed vegetable fry, potato cauliflower fry, herby potato salad, cauliflower potato curry, vegan potato curry or saag aloo, etc. Read my collection of vegan potato recipes on the blog.
How to make potato stir-fry in 15 minutes?
As I said, this simple potato fry doesn't require any fancy ingredients. That's the beauty of the stir-fried vegetables in fact. Let's see the ingredients, method to cook this quick side dish.
Potatoes - The basic requirement is potatoes. I like to prep it like fingers. You can also dice it into cubes or just make some slices. If you will make slices, you have to take extra care while cooking as they may turn soft and break into pieces. Cubes and fingers are the best. You can take any potatoes available to you. Since we don't want
Onion - Onion is optional though. I like the flavor of onion to my potato stir-fry. You can also use onion powder in place of freshly sliced onions. Just make long slices or roughly chop. No fine chopping required here.
Garlic - Again garlic adds tons of flavor to the potato fry. I always add freshly chopped garlic as that gives a strong flavor and aroma to the recipe. You can also substitute this with garlic powder.
Spices - Coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, salt are basic spices for these stir-fried potatoes.
How to prep potatoes for potato stir-fry?
You can either chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes or in to wedges, or like these fingers. I have made this way as potatoes gets cooked quickly in this way as compared to cubes and wedges. If you are using baby potatoes, you can divide that into halves or quarters.
Make 1/4 inch slices first. Keep it like a stalk and then cut it vertically like fingers (thick julienned). Immerse into the water after chopping. Then strain out using a sieve just before cooking. This will help in removing excess starch and potato pieces will not stick to each other while cooking. Also, this will stop the potatoes from discoloration and turning brown/ black.
There is no magic recipe for this potato spice. It's that simple. Just heat oil, add sliced onion, garlic, chilies (optional). Saute for a minute on medium heat. Don't wait to cook onion till translucent.
Add chopped potatoes, salt and give it a nice gentle stir. Cover with lid and cook on low flame for 4 - 5 minutes. Then add other spices and give it a gentle stir carefully as the potato is cooked and tender now.
Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes on low flame covered with a lid. Then close the flame and wait for 2 - 3 minutes before opening the lid. While opening the lid, be careful not to drop any steam droplet from the lid into the potato fry.
Some tips for best potato stir-fry
- To make it a little crispy stir-fried potato, stir-fry on high heat for initial 2 - 3 minutes without covering with a lid.
- Add oil generously but don't add too much as it will make the dish too oily and mushy as well.
- Make sure you are not adding any water into it along with potatoes as it may turn the potatoes soggy.
- Don't overcook the potatoes. Since these are thinner than cubes/ wedges, it will not take much time to get cooked. So need to check at regular interval but without disturbing it.
- To check if the potato is cooked or not, use a fork. if it's fork-pierced tender, add other spices and gently mix the spices.
- You can also add the spices in the beginning.
- For these stir-fried potatoes, you don't need to boil potatoes prior to frying. Since the juliennes are thinner, it won't take more than 5 minutes to get cooked.
Recipe Card for Stir-fried Potatoes
- Wash and clean potatoes.
- Peel the skin but you can leave the skin as well.
- Chop the potatoes into french fries like fingers.
- Immerse the potatoes in a bowl of water for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Then remove potatoes from water just before cooking or transferring them to the pan.
- Heat oil generously in a skillet.
- Add sliced onion, garlic, green chillies.
- Saute for a minute but don't wait to make the onion translucent.
- Then add potatoes and keep on high flame for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add salt and spices.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Check after 5 minutes if potatoes are cooked well but not over cooked.
- Check with a fork if the potatoes are cooked or not.
- When it's cooked, turn off heat.
- Don't open the lid for 5 minutes.
- Stir-fried potato is ready.
- Remove the lid carefully so that no steam droplet will drop into the skillet.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa