Moong Dal Idli | Breakfast Recipe For Weight Loss
Have this high protein moong dal idli for breakfast if you are on a weight loss diet and wish to lose some extra belly fat.
Moong dal or green gram is a lentil that has high protein content. This is low in carb and low in fat as well. Hence this is one of the healthy food for maintaining proper weight and losing some extra kilos at the same time.
Moong dal idli is a healthy breakfast option. These are also excellent for kids. This is a healthy finger food for toddlers as well as a good option for kid’s tiffin boxes or lunch boxes.
What is Moong Dal Idli?
Idli originally is a South Indian dish. This is a steamed healthy breakfast recipe that is made with fermented rice and lentil batter. In the case of authentic idli, urad dal or black gram is used along with rice.
However, this moong dal idli is a healthier alternative of traditional South Indian idli. We are not using any rice for this recipe. Hence it will be low in carbohydrates and more protein. That’s how this will be a weight loss breakfast recipe. Also, this is a no fermentation idli recipe. To get sour taste, add little curd to the batter instead.
I wouldn’t say this is an instant idli recipe as we need to soak dal or lentil for over 4 hrs. But you can soak and prepare the batter and refrigerate for 1 – 2 days.
How Protein Helps in Weight loss?
When we are on a weight loss diet we should eat more of protein and fiber. Protein helps in building muscles. So eating protein-rich food for weight loss diet will stop losing muscle mass in the process of burning fat & calories.
At the same time, it gives a feeling of satiety keeping you full for longer. thus reduces appetite, stops craving to overeat unnecessarily.
The more high protein food you eat in breakfast, the lesser belly fat you will have. Because it acts directly on belly fat and helps to reduce it.
It also increases the metabolism and fastens up losing calories effectively.
For vegetarians and vegans, lentils are a high source of plant-based protein. So these Indian steamed lentil cakes or moong dal idlis are perfect to include in your breakfast.
How to make Perfect idlis for breakfast?
This is a quick and easy recipe. Here we are not using fermented lentil batter for the recipe. The only thing you need to do is to soak the dal for 4hrs. No cooked rice is required for this recipe.
You can also add 2 – 4 tbsp of Bengal gram lentils or chana dal. However, I have taken only moong dal here for this recipe.
Add in whatever vegetables to the batter to make it more healthy. Saute the veggies for 2 – 3 minutes with little tampering for better taste. Or you can directly add veggies to the batter and they will get steamed along with idli. In this case, you need to chop the veggies finely.
You may also blanch the veggies for 2 minutes before adding to the dal batter.
Whisk the batter well for 5 minutes using a wired whisk. After beating well, add eating soda or fruit salt to alleviate the batter. This makes the batter fluffy and idlis turn out as spongy and soft.
Steam for 15 minutes in an idli steamer or a pressure cooker. Remove whistle if using pressure cooker. Wait for 5 minutes after turn off heat. Then remove the idli mold and let it cool for some time. Then remove idlis with the help of a spoon. Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.
Read Similar recipes on the blog:
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge, tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
Recipe card for moong dal idli
Moong Dal Idli
- Soak moong dal for 4 hours.
- Remove from water with help of a strainer.
- In a mixer grinder jar, grind it to a smooth paste
- Don't add water while grinding.
Prepare Veggies Mixture
- In a frying pan, heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion, ginger garlic and saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped veggies and salt to taste.
- Then cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan when cooked properly. Let it cool for some time.
Final Batter for Idli
- Now add the sauteed veggies to the lentil paste.
- Add curd and little salt as per taste.
- Whisk with a wired whisk for 3 – 4 minutes.
- After that add 1 tsp of soda or 1 eno sachet into the batter and mix well.
- Grease the idli mold with little oil.
- Place 1 tbsp batter on each mold.
- Place steamer on the stovetop with water.
- Place the mold in a steamer and close the lid.
- Steam it for 15 – 20 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Turn off heat. Wait for 5 minutes before opening the lid of steamer.
- Then remove molds from the steamer and let it cool.
- Remove with help of a spoon and serve with chutney and sambar.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.