Ragi Idli |Instant Nachni Idli | Finger Millet Idli
How to Make Ragi Idli | Instant Nachni Idli | Finger Millet Idli recipe with step by step photos.
Ragi is also known as nachni and finger millet (English). This is a staple food of Karnataka. Karnataka is the largest producer of ragi in India.
Ragi or nachni is one of the healthiest cereal on earth. And I'm not exaggerating this. This is a source of protein, fiber, calcium, and many more minerals and nutrients. This is a diabetic-friendly cereal. It has no gluten and so if you are gluten allergic, this is for you.
This is rich in fiber and hence perfect for weight management and shredding some extra pounds as well. You must include ragi in our daily diet. At least twice a week.
You can make many healthy recipes from ragi including both savory and sweet dishes. This is healthy food for kids and toddlers as well. Make ragi porridge for kids. or healthy ragi idli, dosa, crepes or adai for kids tiffin box. This is equally healthy and delicious. This is a healthy breakfast option.
This ragi Idle has 3 main ingredients. Ragi flour, semolina or rava, and curd. These are the basic ingredients to make ragi idli. Otherwise, you can mix ragi flour to regular rice and lentils mixture to make idli.
Instant Ragi Idli
However, this is an instant breakfast recipe where you don't need the batter to ferment. Just need to soak the batter for 15 - 20 minutes. That's enough.
So if you are in hurry and don't have that time in the morning busy hours for the tiffin box, make all preparation from the night and refrigerate the batter so that in the morning you can only steam the idli for 10 minutes or make appe in 10 minutes.
Here I have added grated carrots, green peas, onions, green chillies to the mixture. First, saute them for a minute or two and mix with the batter. You can add some veggies of your choice. To make idlis fluffy add soda or eno powder just before putting it on the steamer.
Recipe Card for Instant Idli
Instant Ragi Idli
- 1 cup Ragi flour
- 1 cup semolina/ rava
- 1 cup curd
- 2.5 cup water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp soda or eno
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 3 tbsp grated carrots
- 2 - 3 tbsp green peas
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chana dal
- 1/2 tsp Dhuli Urad Dal
Prepare sauteed veggies
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add lentils, and let them turn little brown.
- Now add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once it spluttered, add chopped ginger, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Then add chopped onions, grated carrots, and green peas.
- Add a pinch of salt & saute for 2 minutes covering with a lid on medium flame.
- Remove from heat and transfer to another plate and cool for some time.
Prepare Idli batter
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Add in semolina, ragi flour, salt and mix well.
- Now pour in curd into it. Add water and mix well.
- Add sauteed veggies and keep the consistency of idli batter.
- Give it a nice whisk for a minute and cover with a lid.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes minimum.
- This will help semolina to soak moisture and idli will be fluffier and soft.
- After 15 minutes, add soda or eno powder and mix it well.
- Now grease idli molds and place one tbsp batter and keep it in a steamer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes turn off heat but wait for sometime to open the lid.
- Once open the lid remove the idli stand and keep it to cool for some time.
- Then remove idli from mold and serve with any chutney and sambar.
How to make vegetable ragi idli?
Take a mixing bowl. Add all ingredients (except eno). Add water as required to make idli batter consistency. Whisk it for a minute.
Keep it aside for 15 - 20 minutes. Then whisk it for a minute or two. Then grease the idli molds. Now just before putting batter on molds, add soda and give it a nice stir.
Add 1 tbsp on each mold and put it in a steamer. Close lid and cook for 10 minutes. turn off the heat and wait for 5 minutes before removing the lid. Now remove the idli stand and let it cool it under the fan for 2 - 3 minutes. Now use a sharp or thin edge spoon to scrape out idlis.
Serve these idlis with any chutney of your choice.
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
Well, I have collected all healthy breakfast recipes here. Read the healthy breakfast recipes collection on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)