Watermelon Agua Fresca is a cool refreshing summer drink. This is a popular Mexican drink sold by street vendors. This is a simple and quick flavored drink for summers. Make this quick homemade summer drink watermelon agua fresca in just 5 minutes.
Watermelon is one of the most popular summer fruit like mangoes. However these are available in other season also in big cities. Those are cold-storage melons. Fresh ones are abundantly flooded in spring and summers only.
This watermelon is full of water (92%). And it has refreshing properties as well. That's why in summers this makes lots of cooling summer drinks and ice creams also.
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Apart from refreshing summer drink, it has numerous health benefits as well. Some of them are:
- acts as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
- helps to prevent cell damage from free radicals
- lycopene works as an anti-cancer agent
- lowers cholesterol & blood pressure
- keeps heart healthy
- protects against oxidative damage & inflammation
- help keep eyes healthy
- reduces muscle soreness
- vitamin A & C are excellent for skin and hair
- improves digestion
- keeps the body hydrated
Also, read some other watermelon recipes here on blog:
How to make watermelon agua fresca?
Agua fresca is a Mexican recipe and quite popular in Mexico, Central America and the United States. This is nothing but flavored water. So this watermelon agua fresca means Watermelon flavored water. Here we will be adding lemon juice to bring in little more freshness to the agua fresca.
This simple recipe is where you just need to blend the ingredients (watermelon, sugar, lime juice) together. Strain the mixture and mix it with chilled water. You can also garnish with some fresh mint leaves. But that is optional. Serve chilled. To add some more freshness, add or garnish with few mint leaves.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Is watermelon juice is similar to watermelon agua fresca?
Watermelon juice is the extract of watermelon pulp. This is sweet and pulpy at the same time. Juice is chilled and served. But this agua fresca is then diluted juice of the fruit. This is a watery drink and it's strained so that it won't contain any pulp.
Is it necessary to strain out the pulp?
Yes. This is because this is agua fresca which means fresh water. So watermelon agua fresca is a watermelon flavored water recipe. And extracting pulp is necessary for that. Use a fine mesh sieve to strain out the pulp before diluting it with water.
Can I store watermelon agua fresca?
Yes, you can store agua fresca in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days. You can also make ice cubes of this flavored drink and serve on other drinks as well.
Recipe Card for Watermelon Agua Fresca
Watermelon Agua Fresca - Refreshing Summer Drink
- 1 large watermelon (4 - 6 cups approximately)
- 5 - 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs mint leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup ice cubes or as desired
- Remove the rind of the watermelon.
- Cut the pulpy part into pieces.
- If it has seeds, deseed it.
- Put all blenders in a blender.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, & 1/2 cup water.
- Blend the watermelon till it's totally pulverized.
- Remove from blender.
- Strain the mixture to a pitcher through a fine mesh sieve
- Add rest of the water and give it a nice stir.
- Chill for 1 - 2 hours till it's cold enough to serve.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve chilled.
If you like my recipes rate me with a 5 star below 🙂 and subscribe via email to my blog.
PIN IT FOR LATER