Mango lassi is a summer twist to the authentic lassi with mango flavor. This is nothing but sweet and delicious mango yogurt smoothie made with 3 ingredients only. Perfect as a dessert or as a breakfast smoothie.
Mango Lassi – Mango Yogurt Smoothie – A Cooling Summer Drink
This is my best after-dinner dessert drink in summers. So rich, creamy, fruity drink no one can resist having this. Yet this is one of the simplest recipes next to mango milkshake. Only 3 necessary ingredients for my mango lassi. Rest for the additional flavor you may add 1 – 2 more ingredients.
This is also one of the best summer drink that is not only delicious but also keeps the body cool and soothes to beat the summer sun heat. Thanks to the cooling properties of yogurt. At the same time, this is also healthy in many other ways because of the combo of 2 superfoods.
Mango is known as king of fruits and also this is also the national fruit of India. This stone fruit is not only delicious but also this is packed with lot of nutrition. It’s rich in protein, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, other essential minerals, and enzymes. This is also rich in anti-oxidants.
Health Benefits of Mango
Below mentioned are few health benefits of mangoes.
- It helps in digestion
- lowers the risk of heart disease
- lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes
- promotes healthy gut
- keeps eyes healthy
- helps to keep skin healthy & supple
- boosts immunity
- lowers bad cholesterol
- aids in weight loss
What is mango lassi?
Mango lassi is nothing but mango-flavored lassi i.e. mango yogurt smoothie in Indian style. Now to elaborate what is lassi, this is an authentic Indian drink made with yogurt. Thick yogurt or greek yogurt is beaten to smooth adding sugar to make a moderately thick sweet drink. You can add little water to dilute it a little bit. To be precise, this belongs to Punjabi cuisine.
So mango lassi is mango flavoured drink made with fresh mango pulp and beaten yogurt. So you can also name this as mango yogurt smoothie. Since we get fresh mangoes in summers only, this is a summer special drink. Again yogurt has cooling properties and hydrating. So this is advised to consume yogurt-based drinks in summers. This is my favorite summer cooler in fact.
Other Summer Coolers (Mango Summer Drinks)
Read here other mango summer coolers here:
Benefits of Lassi
Lassi is a yogurt-based sweetened drink. So apart from cooling properties, you will get all the benefits of yogurt from this drink. This is an ayurvedic health drink for a healthy digestive system
Few of those benefits are listed below:
- it has probiotics and this keeps gut healthy
- helps in the better digestive system
- prevents bloating
- rich in calcium and hence keeps bone strong
- boosts immune system
Is lassi good for weight loss?
It helps in the proper digestion of the food consumed. Otherwise, this high protein drink helps in gaining lean muscle mass. If you are on a weight loss diet, you can replace your afternoon meal or lunch with a glass of lassi. You will see a lot of changes in your body and skin.
For better results, you may substitute sugar with other sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, jaggery powder, dates. These will have a natural sweetness and you can skip refined sugar in your mango yogurt smoothie.
How to make mango lassi (mango yogurt smoothie?
Like other smoothie recipes, this is also a simple recipe. Just blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender. That’s all. Your sweet yet healthy mango drink is ready in minutes.
1. Mangoes: Take any pulpy variety mango. I prefer alphonso mangoes.
2. Yogurt: Greek yogurt or thick yogurt.
3. Sugar: To balance out the sour taste of yogurt, you need sweetener. Take sugar or any sugar substitute. Also take sugar as per the mango you are using as mangoes have some natural sweetness.
4. Flavor and garnish: These are optional ingredients. Since cardamom adds a nice flavor to lassi, I have taken this. Also, you can add more dried fruits to make this little rich and heavy. For garnish, some Kesar strands or mint leaves would be good enough.
Just take all ingredients including cardamom and mango pulp in a blender and whisk for 2 minutes. Here you can add 1/2 – 3/4 cup water to dilute if it’s too thick. So quick mango lassi is ready in just 2 – 3 minutes.
Mango Yogurt Smoothie
This mango lassi is nothing but a yogurt-based smoothie. You can also make this energy building high protein breakfast smoothie for morning busy hours and replace your breakfast with this.
To make is some more healthy, you may add honey in place of refined white sugar. Also add some banana and some dried fruits for your mango yogurt breakfast smoothie. To make it even healthier, add some rolled oats to the smoothie. A complete weight loss diet breakfast smoothie is ready in minutes.
For Vegan Mango Smoothie, replace dairy curd/ yogurt with coconut yogurt or any other non-dairy yogurt.
To give this a tropical flavor, add pineapple and in place of water, use coconut water for the smoothie. So with small changes, you can change the flavor of the smoothie without compromising on health.
Recipe Card For Mango Lassi (Mango Yogurt Smoothie)
Mango Lassi (Mango Yogurt Smoothie)
- high speed blender
- 2 ripe mangoes Diced
- 4 – 5 tbsp sugar (depending on mango type)
- 400 gms yogurt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- 2 green cardamom
- saffron strands
- mint leaves
- Peel of the outer skin of mangoes. Cut and remove the seed.
- Dice into medium pieces. Remove few diced pieces for garnishing and transfer the rest to a mixer grinder or high speed blender.
- Add thick yogurt, sugar, cardamom, and water. and blend smooth.
- Pulse it on high speed for 2 minutes.
- You can also add some ice cubes during blending.
- Transfer to the glasses and top it with chopped mango pieces, saffron strands and chopped dry fruits. (I have not added dry fruits here.)
- Garnish with few mint leaves and serve chilled.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa