Baby Corn Manchurian makes a perfect side dish for your noodles or fried rice. It's really easy to prepare this and takes less than 20 minutes. This is a vegan and Chinese-style side dish.
Baby Corn Manchurian
To make the baby corn manchurian, coat the bite-sized baby corn with a batter of refined flour, cornstarch, and seasonings. They are then fried to crispy and then simmered in a Chinese-style sauce. A slurry of cornstarch turns the gravy into a thicker consistency. Thus in a few minutes, a flavorful spicy manchurian is ready.
Baby corn Manchurian is an easy and quick dish that takes 20 minutes to make a serving of 2 - 4. For larger batch sizes, it may take a few more minutes to fry the extra batch of baby corn. Alternatively, you can add the baby corn to the air fryer for healthier and quick cooking. The steps are easy too.
Ingredients You Will Need
Baby corn - dice them to the desired size or into bite-sized pieces
For Batter - Refined flour, cornstarch, chili sauce or red chili powder (optional for spicy), ginger garlic paste, salt to taste, and black pepper powder
Vegetable oil - for deep frying or pan-frying of the battered baby corn pieces
Other Vegetables - minced garlic, minced ginger, green chili (optional), onion diced into large bite-sized chunks, and bite-sized cut bell peppers
For gravy sauce - Soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, water, slurry, salt and black pepper as taste
How to make baby corn manchurian?
Step 1 - Making Crispy Baby Corn
Wash and clean baby corn. Add the baby corn to a saucepan along with water and a tsp of salt. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 3 - 4 minutes till the baby corn is half-coked. Alternatively, you can also microwave them for 4 minutes.
In the meantime in a large bowl, prepare a batter of flour, and cornstarch. Add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder or chili sauce, a pinch of salt, and pepper powder.
Coat the baby corn in the batter and shallow fry them. You can deep fry also. For a healthier twist, you can air fry the baby corn at 400 F for 8 minutes. Remove once they are crispy and golden. Place them on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
Step 2 - Preparing Gravy Of Baby Corn Manchurian
Heat oil in a pan. add crushed garlic, finely chopped ginger, diced onions, and capsicum. Saute for 2 minutes on high flame stirring occasionally. Then add fried baby corn pieces to the pan. Saute them together.
In a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, and tomato ketchup. Mix them all. Add water to dilute the sauce. In another small bowl add cornstarch and water making a slurry.
Then add the prepared sauce and water mix to the pan and simmer for a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Now pour in the slurry to the gravy and simmer till it thickens to the desired consistency.
Baby corn manchurian is ready. Add a handful of chopped green onions to the pan. Serve this with any of your Indo-Chinese preparation.
Serve this as a side dish with any Indo-Chinese dish or with plain steamed rice. A few of the pairing suggestions are mentioned below.
Baby Corn Manchurian
For Crispy Baby Corn Fry
- 1 Onion roughly diced into bite-sized pieces
- 10 - 12 garlic cloves add garlic generously
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 - 2 green chilies cut into slits
- ½ cup bell pepper cut into cubes
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (+2 tbsp water to make slurry)
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tbsp green onions finely chopped
- Boil baby corn in water and a pinch of salt for 5 minutes.
- Make a paste with refined flour, corn flour, ginger garlic paste, black pepper, red chilli powder, salt. It should be of coating consistency
- Dip the baby corn slice in the batter mix. Shallow fry them in 2 tbsp hot oil.
- Remove from oil when done and both sides are cooked crisp.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add ginger garlic paste. and saute till it leaves raw smell.
- Add chopped onion and bell peppers. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Add soy sauce, chili sauce, ketchup, and vinegar to the pan.
- Add fried baby corns and saute for a minute.
- Then add water to it. season with salt and black pepper.
- Once it starts boiling, pour in mixture of cornstarch and water to the boiling gravy. This will help in thickening the gravy.
- Turn off heat when it reach desired consistency. Garnish with spring onions and serve hot with noodles or fried rice.
PIN IT FOR LATER