If you are looking for a delicious yummy side dish to accompany the fried rice or noodles, or to serve as a snack at the party, these chilli paneer are the best ones to try.
Chilli Paneer Dry
Chili Paneer is a popular Indo-Chinese dish made with cubes of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) sautéed with bell peppers, onions, and a spicy chili sauce. It's a flavorful and slightly spicy dish, often served as an appetizer or a side dish, and enjoyed for its delectable fusion of flavors.
This is an easy-to-make recipe. It takes hardly 30 minutes to prepare a serving of 2 - 3. It goes well with any noodles or fried rice. You can make chili paneer dry or with gravy. Adjust the thickness of the gravy as preference. The dry chili paneer is also great as a party snack.
Ingredients For Chilli Paneer
Paneer - dice into bite-sized pieces
Batter - refined flour, cornstarch, ginger garlic paste, salt, and black pepper, hot sauce (optional)
Vegetable oil - to pan fry or deep fry
Vegetables - onion, bell peppers, green chillies as required spice level
Minced garlic and minced ginger
Sauce - soy sauce, vinegar, hot chili sauce, tomato ketchup (optional)
Cornstarch slurry - cornstarch + water
Finely chopped spring onions to garnish
How to make dry chilli paneer?
Make crispy coated paneer
In a bowl, mix all-purpose flour, cornflour, red chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Add enough water to make a smooth batter. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Dip the paneer cubes in the batter and fry them until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Prepare the spicy sauce
In a large wok or pan, heat oil. Add ginger-garlic minced (or paste) and sauté for a minute. Then add the chopped onions, and bell peppers and sauté until they turn translucent. Add green chilies. Stir-fry for a few minutes until they are slightly tender but still crisp.
Mix in soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, and vinegar. Stir well to combine. Add 1/4 cup of water to create the sauce. Let it simmer for a minute. Toss the fried paneer cubes into the sauce and mix well. Make sure the paneer is evenly coated with the sauce. Simmer for a minute or so.
Then add cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper as required. Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the paneer. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
Serve the dry chili paneer hot as an appetizer or a side dish. You can adjust the spice level to the desired preference. Add more green chillies for a spicier sauce.
Storage and Reheat
You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days. To store let it cool down to room temperature and then transfer the content to an airtight container and refrigerator.
The gravy thickens more when chilled. Top reuse, reheat them either in a pan for 1 - 2 minutes or microwave for 1 minute.
Chilli Paneer Dry Recipe
- 200 gms Paneer
- 2 + 1 tbsp corn starch (1 to add in gravy)
- 3 tbsp refined flour
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Refined Oil as required for shallow frying
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Capsicum diced to medium cubes
- 2 small Onion 1 sliced thin and 1 diced into medium cubes
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Green Chilli Sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp Red chilli sauce
- 2 - 3 Green Chillies 3 – 4 slits
- Water – As required
- 1/2 cup Spring onions chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic finely minced
- Cut paneer into cubes or into fingers as per your choice. Mix all-purpose flour, salt, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp soy sauce. Prepare a thin mixture of coating consistency. Dip the paneer cubes into the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the paneer cubes till golden brown. Remove from oil once done and place on tissue paper to drain out excess oil.
- Heat 3 - 4 tsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add crushed or finely chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies, spring onions. Sauté for 1 min. Add sliced onions. Stir for 1 minute. Put all capsicum & onion (diced to medium size). Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of soya sauce, chilli sauce, vinegar and ¼ tsp or lesser (as per taste) black pepper powder to the frying pan and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add fried paneer cubes to the pan and give them a nice toss.
- In a small bowl add 2 tbsp corn flour and ¼ cup water and slowly add this starch mixture to pan. It will thicken the consistency of the gravy. You can adjust water as per the consistency you require.
- If you want dry chilli paneer then add only 2 tbsp water and add the corn starch mixture to it. If you want with gravy add ¼ to ½ cup water and simmer for some time. Season with salt as per taste.
- Let it boil for 2 - 3 minutes. Turn off the gas and remove from heat. Garnish with spring onions and chilly paneer is ready to serve.
PIN IT FOR LATER