This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Air fryer onion rings are quick and healthy appetizers. Serve these crispy onion rings at any parties or as a snack. These are vegan too.
These air-fryer onion rings are crispy yet oil-free. So you can enjoy these healthy snacks guilt-free. These are great vegan appetizers indeed.
You can make the frozen onion rings or make them at your home. Again frozen products contain too many preservatives and also high sodium content. So you can’t label the frozen ones as a healthy snack though you can use them when you are in hurry and don’t have time for any preparation. However, making the fresh homemade onion rings in an air fryer is easy and at the same time, you can customize at your choice.
I like my onion rings egg-free too. So homemade onion rings are the best option. There are a few more choices of flour to make batter for your onion rings.
Why you will love these onion rings?
- air-fried, less oil
- crispy, crunchy like fried
- vegan (plant-based)
- quick snacks, appetizer
- delicious and tasty
- customizable (flour coating, spices seasoning)
- can be gluten free with gluten free bread crumbs.
How to make air fryer onion rings?
First, preheat the air fryer at 380 F (150C). This is not important. But preheating while doing other preparation helps in saving little time as cooking time can be lesser. Again it depends on the air-fryer.
Peel off the skin and slice to the desired thickness. Keep the slices a little thicker.
Prepare the batter with flour and seasonings. Here I have taken chickpea flour and rice flour. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. You can add other specific seasonings if you want any particular flavoring.
Add almond milk or any other plant-based milk slowly making a smooth batter of coating consistency. The batter should not be very thick or very thin.
Take panko bread crumbs in a separate plate and season with a pinch of salt, pepper, and oregano seasoning. Mix them well.
Now take the onion slice, dip it into the batter. Remove from batter and place on the bread crumbs plate. Coat the onion slices with bread crumbs nicely. Repeat for all slices.
Next, take out the basket and grease it by spraying oil all around the plate. Now place the coated onion rings on the basket. Spray oil on the rings generously and place them in the air fryer.
Start the air fryer at 380F for 10 minutes. Flip in the midway at around 5 minutes of cooking. If at 10 minutes, it has not reached desired crispiness, cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, checking internally. It will not reduce the temperature.
If you have not preheated, it might take longer up to 15 minutes or so.
Expert tips for best air fryer onion Rings
Place the breaded onion rings in a single layer. May place the smaller rings inside bigger ones. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
Here I have taken gluten-free batter of chickpea flour and rice flour. So the batter is gluten-free. For complete gluten-free onion rings, use gluten-free panko or bread crumbs.
If you are not resistant to gluten, then consider an alternative batter mix of all-purpose flour (refined flour) and corn starch.
The ideal time varies between 10 – 15 minutes. It depends on the size of the air fryer, variety of onions as well.
Recipe card for air fryer onion rings
Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Oil sprayer
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano seasoning mix
- Preheat the air fryer at 380 F.
- Now wash and peel off the skin of the onion.
- Slice into thicker slices.
- In a mixing bowl, add flours, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika.
- Add almond milk to the flour mix to make the batter.
- Make a smooth coating consistency batter.
- Add seasoning mix to the bread crumbs.
- Now, take the slices, dip into the batter.
- Then coat the same slice with bread crumbs.
- Spray little oil to grease the basket.
- Place the breaded onion rings in a single layer.
- Spray little oil on the rings.
- Now start the air fryer at 380 F for 10 minutes.
- Pause at 5 minutes and flip the rings.
- Now spray a little oil again (optional).
- Check at 10 minutes.
- If not reached desired crispiness, cook for another 1- 2 minutes or till reached desired results.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve hot with any dip.