Vegan Savory French Toast | Bread Besan Toast with step-by-step instructions and photos.
This toast is vegan version of french toast. To replace egg we are using gram flour or besan. Gram flour is the best substitute of eggs and gives a nice savory flavor.
In India this is called as besan toast or bread besan toast. The recipe is almost similar.
Read my post of Vegan Omelette (besan chilla or Tomato omelette) which was made with gram flour or besan and loaded with onions tomatoes chillies and basic spices.
Here in this toast, I have taken capsicum, onion, chillies. You can either skip vegetables or add them. serve this toast with any sauce. I loved the combination with sweet chilli sauce.
How to Make Vegan French Toast?
Whisk flour, salt and spices to make a smooth and lumps free batter. Add onion, capsicum.
Now dip the slice on both sides.
Then pan-fry till it's golden and flip to other side. Remove from pan once it's golden and crisp.
Tips To Make Perfect Vegan Savory French Toast
1. Well to make this taste more like egg omelette, you need to add black salt. It's high sulphur content gives it a flavor of egg omelette.
2. If you are using thin slices then dont dip it completely and for more than 3 - 5 seconds. Else it will turn out to be a soggy toast.
3. Otherwise use thick bread slices. Here I have used thick ones. So I have dipped my bread completely in flour batter.
4. To make it little crispy you can add a tsp of rice flour or little refined flour to make it fluffy. You can also add nutritional yeast.
Recipe card for savory french toast
Vegan Savory French Toast
- Mix all ingredients except bread and oil.
- Add water and make smooth lumps free batter.
- Submerge bread slice into batter.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil or butter in a skillet.
- Place bread slice on skillet and pan-fry till it's crisp and golden.
- Flip to other side and if needed add some oil in skillet.
- Pan fry both sides completely till it's golden and crisp.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.