Instant Rava Appe Recipe | Instant Paniyaram | Kid's Tiffin Box Recipe
Paniyaram or appe is a traditional South Indian dish. This is a twist to the authentic South Indian Appe recipe. Instant rava appe is an easier alternative to regular paniyaram or appe. And when it comes to making such instant recipes best option is to make a batter by mixing rava or semolina and curd.
Though it's an instant recipe, you need to keep the mixture for 20 - 30 minutes to make softer appe or idli. Semolina will soak up moisture from curd and water during this resting period and the idli/ appe will be softer. You can use idli rava (rava rice) or plain rava or sooji for this recipe.
This is a pan-fried and quicker version of idli. You may make them with regular idli batter. Idli batter is basically a paste of rice and lentils. This is then fermented and steamed to make idli. Idli is steamed whereas this is shallow fried. Read my recipe of instant rava idli here.
In fact, there are many other options to make idli recipes. You can use only lentils to make these soft idlis. Like moong dal idli, oats idli, chana dal idli, vermicelli idli etc are on my to-do list for my blog.
There is a different pan to make these appe or paniyaram. These are quick recipes and takes lesser time to make.
To make the batter for instant appe, mix rava or semolina with curd. Also, add some sauteed veggies to the batter to make it healthier. Read my veggies loaded ragi idli for kids tiffin box and healthier breakfast food. I have added a tempering of mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the batter.
Recipe Card for Instant Appe or Paniyaram
Instant Paniyaram - Instant Appe - Rava Paniyaram
- In a mixing bowl add rava, salt and curd.
- Add water to make a thick batter (just like idli batter consistency).
- Cover and let it rest for some time (15 - 20 minutes).
- After said duration, check the batter.
- Add some more water if it's thicker.
- Now heat oil in a tadka pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add chopped onions, ginger, green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Now remove the pan from heat.
- Pour in the tempering to the batter.
- Whisk it well in one direction for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Now divide it into 2 portions.
- Take out one part and add half tsp fruit salt or soda.
- Mix well.
- Take appe pan and grease the sockets with little oil.
- Heat the pan.
- Pour in 1 tbsp batter into each socket of the pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now take a spoon and flip all with the help of a spoon.
- Sprinkle little oil on them.
- Again cover and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan when done golden on both sides.
- Repeat for other batch of batter.
- Serve as snack or breakfast or pack for your kid's tiffin box.
- Serve with any chutney of your choice.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.