Make these healthy millet crepes for your breakfast. These are easy, quick, and delicious. Also, these millet crepes are gluten-free.
Finger Millet Crepes| Ragi Crepes| Ragi Adai
Finger Millet Crepes or ragi crepes or ragi adai is perfect for your kid's tiffin box or for a healthy breakfast. Add lots of veggies of your choice to these savory millet crepes and make em extra delicious and healthy.
Ragi or nachni is also known as finger millet. This is a staple food in Bangalore (South India). This is also popularly known as ragi adai. Finger millet is a superfood for many good reasons. This is one of the healthiest cereals on this planet. Millets are full of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. This is a low-carb whole grain that is gluten-free also.
Why millet is a superfood?
Millet is a cereal grain packed with proteins, fiber, and many other nutrients. These look like seeds and considered ancient grains. These are the whole grains and hence least processed and have all nutrients intact. Also, these ancient grains are gluten-free and one of the major cereals for those who are allergic to gluten or have celiac diseases.
This is rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and many micronutrients required for a healthy body. It contains minerals like iron, copper, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, and many more essential nutrients. Let's see some of the nutritional values and health benefits of millets.
- High protein content
- Rich in calcium
- High dietary fiber
- High phytochemicals
- Excellent antioxidant
- High in phenolic content
- Low in carbohydrate (bad carb)
Health Benefits of Ragi or Finger Millets
- One of the best cereals for weight loss and weight management. Protein keeps you full for longer and gives satiety.
- High fiber content also keeps the digestive tract & intestine healthy by a proper bowel movement.
- High fiber helps to excrete excess fat and cholesterol from the body. And hence keeps our heart healthy.
- Since millets are rich in calcium, this is excellent for healthy bones. Also, it keeps osteoporosis away by strengthening the bones.
- Reduces blood glucose level and hence perfect for the diabetics as well.
- Since millets are gluten-free, it help those who have celiac diseases.
- Reduces aging by cross-linking collagen and bringing back elasticity in skin cells. and hence reduces aging.
Can we eat millets daily?
Absolutely yes. If you are aiming to have a healthy body and mind, you must include these millets in your daily diet.
Is millet gluten-free?
Yes, millets are gluten-free. Gluten is a plant protein found in wheat, rye, barley that acts as a glue in binding the flour by increasing the elasticity. It also gives a chewy texture to the food. But many people are allergic to this gluten as it causes or increases celiac disease (gluten intolerance). However, these ancient whole grains are free from this gluten.
Why I love these finger millet crepes?
I love these millet crepes, as
- A quick recipe
- An easy breakfast
- Healthy food option
- Gluten-free food
- Loaded with vegetables
- Millet is a superfood
- Keeps full for longer
- Has many health benefits
Read my instant ragi idli recipe.
How to Make Millet Crepes or Ragi Crepes?
However, this millet crepe is an instant breakfast item. This takes no time to make if you have kept batter ready overnight. So if you are planning to make this for kids tiffin box, prepare batter from the night and refrigerate. This will save 30 minutes of time approximately in the busy morning hours.
Otherwise, it will take 30 minutes more. This is because we are adding semolina or sooji. And it requires some time to soak up water and get fluffy.
To make this savory crepe healthy add some sauteed veggies to the batter. I have added carrots, peas, beans, onion to this. Grate the veggies and saute them before adding them to the batter.
In a mixing bowl add ragi flour or ground millet, semolina, curd, salt, and mix well. Add water to make a batter of this. Add sauteed veggies to the batter and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Now heat a dosa tawa or regular pan. Pour a ladleful of batter and spread it evenly and quickly. Now drizzle some oil. Flip to the other side when one side is cooked. Remove from pan when both sides are cooked.
Millet crepes or ragi crepe or adai is ready. Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
Recipe Card for Savory Millet Crepes or Ragi Crepes
Ragi Crepe | Ragi Adai | Finger Millet Crepe
- 1/2 cup ground millet Ragi flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup curd
- 2.5 - 3 cups water (or as required to get idli batter consistency)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp eno or fruit salt or baking soda
Prepare Sauteed Veggies
- Heat oil in a pan. Add lentils, and let them turn little brown.
- Now add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once it spluttered, add chopped ginger, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Then add chopped onions, grated carrots, and green peas.
- Add a pinch of salt & saute for 2 minutes covering with a lid on medium flame.
- Remove from heat and transfer to another plate and cool for some time.
Prepare Batter for Crepes
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Add in semolina, ragi flour, salt and mix well.
- Now pour in curd into it. Add water and mix well.
- Add sauteed veggies and keep the consistency of idli batter.
- Give it a nice whisk for a minute and cover with a lid.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes minimum.
- This will help semolina to soak moisture and idli will be fluffier and soft.
- After 15 minutes, whisk it well for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add little water if the batter is turned very thick. Bring it to idli batter consistency.
- Add soda or eno powder and mix it well.
- Now heat dosa tawa or any non-stick pan/ skillet.
- Grease it with a tsp oil.
- Pour in a ladleful of batter and quickly spread it to a circle.
- Keep it on medium-high flame.
- When the base layer is golden and cooked flip it to the other end.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan when both ends are cooked well.
- Serve these adai or crepes with any chutney and sambar.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER