These tofu tacos are easy, quick, and delicious homemade tacos loaded with crispy tofu bites. Top it with your favorite toppings and sauce, and enjoy the yummy tacos.
Tofu tacos are one of the easiest vegan meals. You can make these tacos for your breakfast tacos or even for a brunch. It's a great idea to start the day with high protein breakfast. Also, these are made in no time.
If you are looking for a healthy and vegan brunch, this will be a perfect fit. Also, if you love tofu, here are my vegan tofu recipes.
Why these tofu tacos are so good?
I have crumbled tofu roughly. You can make them even smaller like vegan bacon bits. These meatless tacos are so perfect you will fall in love with them.
- vegan (dairy-free, plant-based)
- quick (under 20 minutes)
- kids friendly
- high protein
Tofu tacos are easy vegan meals that require lesser ingredients and pantry staples. A detailed ingredients list along with step-by-step instructions are mentioned in the recipe card.
Tofu - extra firm tofu for a more meaty texture. Press tofu to remove extra moisture.
Taco shells or tortillas - here I have taken hard shells. However, you can consider soft tortillas for the tofu tacos.
Toppings - cabbage/ lettuce, red onions, tomato, cilantro leaves, lime juice
Spices - cumin powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. You can also substitute this with taco seasonings.
How to make tofu tacos?
Step - 1 - Tofu filling for the tacos
Take extra-firm tofu. Press the tofu using a tofu press or just place some heavy object. This will help in releasing extra water from the tofu block. Crumble the tofu block into bite-sized pieces.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add tofu pieces along with a few spices like cumin powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook it for 7 - 8 minutes or till it looks brown and has crisp edges.
Tofu is excellent in absorbing the flavor of spices we cook them. Once this is cooked, half of the work is done itself.
Step - 2 - Prepare the toppings for tacos
In the meanwhile prepare other toppings.
Prepare the coleslaw - Shred red cabbage and onions. Season with salt and lime juice.
Make salsa or pico de gallo - Prep the tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, and cilantro leaves for salsa.
Vegan crema - Add any of your favorite vegan crema for toppings. For a quick crema take vegan mayonnaise + hot sauce + maple syrup (optional). You can add cilantro crema and buffalo sauce to the tofu tacos.
Assemble the tacos
Now time to assemble the tofu filling. You can take soft tortillas or hard taco shells as per choice. I normally prefer soft flour tortillas. But for this recipe, I have used hard taco shells.
Now assemble the tacos. If using soft tortillas, place them on a skillet or griddle and heat up for 10 - 15 seconds. Place some tofu filling on the taco shells or tortillas. Add other toppings like salsa or Pico de Gallo and cabbage slaw. Drizzle your vegan sauce or crema and some more fresh cilantro leaves. Easy and quick tacos are ready. This won't take more than 30 minutes.
There are a few other ways too you can prepare your tofu tacos. Also, you can place breaded tofu nuggets in your tacos or make simple fajita tofu for this.
Easy Tofu Tacos
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 4 soft tortillas or hard taco shells
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Taco Seasonings Substitute
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
Pico de Gallo
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- 6 - 8 tbsp vegan crema or vegan mayonnaise or buffalo sauce
- 1 fistful cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice 1/2 lime
Prepare tofu fillings
- Take extra-firm tofu.
- Press the tofu using a tofu press or just place some heavy object.
- This will help in releasing extra water from the tofu block.
- Crumble the tofu block into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add crumbled tofu to the skillet.
- In a small bowl add all seasonings and a little water making a paste.
- Add it to the tofu and give a nice stir.
- Cook it on low to medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes or till it looks brown and crisp edges.
Prepare the toppings
- Prepare the coleslaw - Shred red cabbage, onions. Season with salt and lime juice.
- Make salsa or pico de gallo - Prep the tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, cilantro leaves for salsa.
- Vegan crema - Add any of favorite vegan crema for toppings. For a quick crema take vegan mayonnaise + hot sauce + maple syrup (optional).
Assemble the tacos
- Reheat the tortillas if using soft tortillas.
- Place some tofu filling on the taco shells.
- Add other toppings like salsa or Pico de Gallo and cabbage slaw.
- Drizzle your vegan sauce or crema and some more fresh cilantro leaves.
- Easy and quick tofu tacos are ready.
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)