Easy Methi Aloo/ Sauteed Potato And Fenugreek Greens
Methi Aloo is an easy and healthy main course item. I have prepared this dish in exactly 5 minutes cooking time. I have some boiled potatoes which saved my time.
Methi aloo is a dry sauteed dish made with potatoes and methi or fenugreek leaves. Add lots of garlic to add strong flavor to this dry sauteed methi aloo dish.
This is very popular food in North India. Methi is generally a seasonal leafy vegetable and majorly available in winter season. But now a days these are available all year.
This is an everyday recipe which is easy, quick and at the same time it’s healthy also. This is slightly bitter in taste and hence an excellent food for diabetic patient also. It lowers blood sugar level of type II diabetes by huge percentage.
This is bitter in taste. To remove bitterness add little salt to the water and soak it for 5 minutes and then rinse. So by this you will get rid of dirts and also some bitterness will get reduced.
But I love methi with it’s bitter taste only. That’s the real taste. I never cared to reduce bitterness of bitter vegetables and leaves like bitter gourd and methi leaves.
How to make methi aloo in 5 – 7 minutes?
This is a smart way to fast cooking. I always keep some boiled potatoes in my refrigerator which are life savers when you have no time.
But in case you don’t have boiled potatoes, then also you can make this dry sauteed methi aloo for 2 – 4 servings in 15 minutes.
When you have spare time just clean the leaves from the stems and store in a airtight fridge box or poly bag in refrigerator.
At time of cooking just wash them and chop. Most of the time we hesitate making such leafy vegetable with an excuse that it takes long to clean.
Recipe card for methi aloo fry
Easy Methi Aloo/ Sauteed Potato & fenugreek leaves
- Clean leaves and soak in a bowl of water for 5 minutes till the dirts settles down at the bottom. Then remove from water and wash thoroughly. Chop finely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add garlic and saute till it leaves pungent smell. Add onion, green chillies and saute for 2 minutes till translucent.
- Chop the potatoes (boiled or raw). If using raw potato then saute on low flame and covered with a lid for some time till potatoes are cooked soft upto 80%. Add salt. This will fasten the process by releasing water which will help in cooking faster. If using boiled potatoes then saute for 1 minute on high flame.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Use half amount of spices and keep rest half to add after adding methi leaves. Saute for another minute.
- Add chopped methi leaves and rest spices. Mix well. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes till leaves are cooked completely.
- Stir in between to avoid sticking at the bottom. Turn off heat once leaves are cooked completely.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.