This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Indian Dal Khichdi
This one pot dish dal khichdi is a life saver for those who wants a quick dish, who wants light meal. I love dal khichdi because it’s a quick and mildly spiced dish. Sometimes it’s tiring to cook whole meal after coming back late from work. So my all time favorite for those tiring days is my life saver meal “dal khichdi“. And this is such a tasty meal that you can not say no to it anytime. I never got tired of this dish. In this easy dish dal & rice are cooked together.
How to make Moong Dal Khichdi
Normally its made with split green gram lentils (hara moong dal) which are nutritious in many ways. Read about green gram here! and other green gram recipes here! However you are free to use lentils of your choice. Here I have taken yellow lentils (Yellow Moong). It takes lesser time to cook this dal. So there are three ways you can make this dish quickly. i.e. pressure cook for 1 whistle or make in open vessel (with or without lid), or even in instant pot. This recipe won’t take more than 15 minutes for the whole process.
When it comes to consistency of khichdi it depends how you would like it to be. I like more soupy consistency. Moong dal becomes thicker after sometime you make. So add little more water. You can make it to thick consistency but my advise don’t make it more thick. It tastes even better in medium thick consistency. Ratio of water & rice+dal is 4 : 1 for khichdi (Medium liquid consistency). I make it 5:1 ratio for soupy consistency.
Variation to Indian Dal Khichdi
Similarly instead of rice you can use quinoa or crackled wheat (dalia) to make khichdi. I have come across one nice dalia khichdi recipe from foodies terminal blog. You may love to try that recipe also. That was also one quick recipe made in instant pot.
Khichdi literally means “Mixed”. So if you want to mix any vegetables to it you can absolutely do it. In this recipe I have taken only rice and dal. This is basic dal khichdi. You can add potatoes, green peas, green beans, carrots, beet root to it.
If you are suffering from stomach upset or any such ailment, then might be this is the best food and that’s why our doctors too advise to have this meal for 2 – 3 days. But here you can limit the spices to cumin seeds only.
You may love to make some accompaniments of curd along with khichdi e.g. boondi raita, carrot raita, dahi baingan or some side dish like fried ivy gourd, shallow fried potato fingers (aloo bhujia), Aloo parwal fry and so on. But trust me only plain raita or buttermilk is also enough with any khichdi.
Indian Dal Khichdi- Easy & Healthy One-pot Comfort Food of Spiced Lentil & Rice
- Wash dal and rice thouroughly & if possible soak for 10 minutes in water. Put them in a pressure cooker. Add salt and turmeric powder. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add water as per the consistency required. The ratio+ (Dal+Rice) : Water should be 1:4.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Wait till cooker opens up and then prepare the tampering.
- heat a small pan. put ghee on it. Once ghee is hot add asafoetida powder and cumin seeds and let it crackle. keep flame on low. Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves. Saute for a minute till they turn light brown.
- If oil or ghee is excess hot then turn off the gas and immediately add red chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well. Add the tampering to the pressure cooked khichdi. Mix well and serve hot.
PIN IT FOR LATER