This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Low-carb Pointed Gourd Curry Using Ready to Use Curry Paste (Parwal Curry)
Pointed gourd curry or parwal curry is a delicious main course dish in almost all parts of India. This is extremely healthy and low carb food. Pointed Gourd or parwal is another great food option for the keto diet.
This is prepared in various ways either alone or in combination with other vegetables e.g. stir-fried side dish, main course gravy, stuffed pointed gourd, mashed gourd or even as a dessert.
These are beneficial for diabetic patients as it controls blood sugar and cholesterol. It helps in weight-loss as this is low in calories and low in carbohydrates. The seeds of this vegetable help to ease the stool and helps in treating constipation. As this is full of antioxidants and rich sources of vitamin A & C it delays the aging process. So why not try making interesting recipes from this superfood.
When summer starts many markets are flooded with young and fresh pointed gourds. Comparatively, this is a much famous cuisine of the Eastern part of India than any other place. This is one of my favorite recipes as well.
I have prepared this simple yet yummy dish using my ready to use curry paste. As I have mentioned in my previous post of curry paste, this is a must-have in your refrigerator if you want to save your cooking time. So when I wish to prepare some curry or gravy based dish, it doesn’t take more than 10 – 15 minutes to cook. Try this simple and effective technique of fast cooking.
This curry took only 10 minutes or less. For better taste, deep fry the pointed gourds or parwal. It also tastes heavenly when cooked in combination with potatoes. I will be posting some more pointed gourd recipes this week.
Read more pointed gourd recipes here.
Let’s start cooking Pointed Gourd Curry (Parwal Ki sabzi/ Parwal Masala/ Potolor Dalna)
Easy 10 minutes Low-carb Pointed Gourd Curry in Indian Style
- 10 tbsp Mustard Oil (for shallow frying of parwal)
- 250 gm Pointed Gourd (Parwal)
- 5 tbsp Curry Paste (2 onion, 1 tomato, 1 inch ginger, 4 - 6 garlic pods, 3 - 4 green chillies and dry red chillies paste cooked with corinader powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder.
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tejpatta)
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Salt (As per taste)
- Wash properly and cut pointed gourd horizontally or vertically as per your choice. I have made 1 inch thick pieces. One medium size can be sliced to 3 to 4 pieces in this way.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai or pan. Shallow fry the parwal for 5 minutes till slightly brown in color. Remove from oil when done.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil more. Then add bay leaf, cardamom, star anise, cloves and saute till they are aromatic.
- Add 5 - 6 tbsp curry paste prepared and stored earlier. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add a cup of water, salt as per taste. Mix well.
- Add fried parwal. Add little water and simmer for another 5 - 8 minutes till it's infused with all flavors of spices.
- Cook till it reached required consistency. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.