These cajun potatoes or cajun spiced potatoes are inspired by Barbeque Nation. These are crispy potatoes that are coated with cajun mayonnaise sauce. It tastes absolutely delicious.
I have another recipe BBQ nation style, i.e. crispy corn chaat recipe. In fact, I love all appetizers from the Barbeque Nation. Read more collection of appetizers here. Also, read 8 vegetarian kabab recipes here.
Cajun-spiced potatoes are simple and easy snacks. It takes less than 30 minutes to make this. This is creamy, tangy, spicy and a perfect blend of all flavors. This is a crispy potato appetizer.
How to make cajun spiced potatoes?
Time needed: 30 minutes.
This is a quick 15-minute recipe in case you have boiled baby potatoes handy.
- Boil Potatoes
Wash and clean the potatoes well. If you are pressure cooking then don’t overcook it. Pressure cook for 1 whistle only. Otherwise in a pot boil till its fork-tender only. Once done, cool the potatoes.
- Smash Potatoes
Once potatoes are cooked and a little cold, press them lightly putting pressure from the base of the palm. Don’t press very hard.
- Prepare Coating Mixture
Prepare a coating mixture with refined flour and cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio. Add water making it a thin flowing consistency mixture.
- Fry Potatoes
Now coat the smashed potatoes in the flour mixture. Shallow fry the coated potatoes till crispy. You can also double fry for extra crispiness. But I used to fry once only. Drain out excess oil.
- Prepare The Cajun Spiced Mayonnaise
In a mixing bowl, take mayonnaise. Add cajun seasoning mix (onion powder + garlic powder + paprika + oregano + thyme + red chilli flakes + black pepper + salt). Squeeze out the fresh lemon juice. Dilute with milk (dairy or non-dairy).
- Final step
Now pour it over potatoes. Garnish with finely chopped onions and cilantro leaves.
Tips for best crispy cajun potatoes
Best option is to use baby potatoes. As these will yield crispier potatoes. But in case you don’t get those potatoes, you can use regular potatoes also. you need to chut them into quarters or in six pieces depending on their size.
No. For this recipe, we need potatoes with skin. Skins will make it crispier.
Since the name says, we need a cajun spice mix for this recipe. You can use either store-bought ones or you can make it at home simply. For that, you need the following spice: onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, paprika (red chilli powder), red chilli flakes, black pepper powder.
In this, we are using mayonnaise for the cajun spiced dip. But in case you would like this vegan then replace this with vegan mayonnaise. Also, add vegan milk, preferably almond milk for diluting the sauce.
Cajun Spiced Potatoes
- 1/2 kg baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup oil to shallow fry
Cajun Mayonnaise Sauce
- Wash and clean the potatoes well
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle only
- Once done, cool the potatoes
- Once potatoes are cooked and a little cold, press them lightly putting pressure from the base of the palm. Don't press very hard
- Prepare a coating mixture with refined flour and cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio
- Mix water to make a thin mixture
- Now coat the smashed potatoes in the flour mixture
- Shallow fry the coated potatoes till crispy
- Drain out excess oil
Prepare Mayonnaise Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, take mayonnaise
- Add cajun seasoning mix (onion powder + garlic powder + paprika + oregano + thyme + red chilli flakes + black pepper + salt)
- Squeeze out the fresh lemon juice
- Give it a nice stir mixing all ingredients
- Now add milk to dilute the mixture of mayo and cajun spice
- Now pour the sauce over potatoes
- Garnish with finely chopped onions and cilantro leaves
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy a product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)