These cajun potatoes or cajun spiced potatoes are inspired by Barbeque Nation. These are crispy potatoes that are coated with cajun mayonnaise sauce. It tastes absolutely delicious.
I have another recipe BBQ nation style, i.e. crispy corn chaat recipe. In fact, I love all appetizers from the Barbeque Nation. Read more collection of appetizers here. Also, read 8 vegetarian kabab recipes here.
Cajun-spiced potatoes are simple and easy snacks. It takes less than 30 minutes to make this. This is creamy, tangy, spicy and a perfect blend of all flavors. This is a crispy potato appetizer.
How to make cajun spiced potatoes?
This is a quick under 30 minutes recipe. But if you have boiled potatoes handy, this won't take more than 15 minutes.
Step 1: Boil Potatoes:
Wash and clean the potatoes well. If you are pressure cooking then don't overcook it. Pressure cook for 1 whistle only. Otherwise in a pot boil till its fork-tender only. Once done, cool the potatoes.
Step 2: Smash Potatoes:
Once potatoes are cooked and a little cold, press them lightly putting pressure from the base of the palm. Don't press very hard.
Step 3: Prepare Coating Mixture:
Prepare a coating mixture with refined flour and cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio. Add water making it a thin flowing consistency mixture.
Step 4: Fry Potatoes:
Now coat the smashed potatoes in the flour mixture. Shallow fry the coated potatoes till crispy. You can also double fry for extra crispiness. But I used to fry once only. Drain out excess oil.
You can also bake smashed potatoes at 400 F for 25 - 35 minutes until the sides look golden and crisp. (use a very thin coating or no coating of step 3). These baked smashed potatoes are crispy and great appetizers itself with little salt and pepper too. This will be healthier than fried potatoes.
Step 5: Prepare Cajun Spiced Sauce:
In a mixing bowl, take mayonnaise. Add cajun seasoning mix (onion powder + garlic powder + paprika + oregano + thyme + red chilli flakes + black pepper + salt). Squeeze out the fresh lemon juice. Dilute with milk (dairy or non-dairy).
Step 6: Assemble & Serve:
Now pour the cajun sauce over crispy potatoes. Garnish with finely chopped onions and cilantro leaves.
Frequently asked questions:
What type of potatoes are used in this recipe?
The best option is to use baby potatoes. As these will yield crispier potatoes. But in case you don't get those potatoes, you can use regular potatoes also. you need to cut them into quarters or in six pieces depending on their size.
Do I need to peel the potatoes?
No. For this recipe, we need potatoes with skin. Skins will make it crispier.
What spices are used for cajun spiced potatoes?
Since the name says, we need a cajun spice mix for this recipe. You can use either store-bought ones or you can make it at home simply. For that, you need the following spice: onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, paprika (red chilli powder), red chilli flakes, black pepper powder.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Since we are using refined flour, this is not gluten-free. However, to make this gluten-free make a batter of chickpea flour and rice flour.
How can I make this recipe vegan?
In this, we are using mayonnaise for the cajun spiced dip. But in case you would like this vegan then replace regular mayo with vegan mayonnaise. Also, add vegan milk, preferably almond milk for diluting the sauce.
Alternate Way to Make Cajun Potatoes: (Baked Crispy Cajun Spiced Smashed Potatoes)
You can also make the cajun potatoes without sauce/ mayonnaise in it. Make Crispy baked cajun spiced potatoes as an alternative. This is also simple.
1. Take boiled potatoes. Smash the potatoes with help of a fork.
2. Preheat oven at 425 degree F. Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Place the potatoes on baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil.
4. Sprinkle Cajun spice mix and mix together with potatoes. Place them evenly on the tray.
5. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes at the same temperature. Once done (golden and crisp) remove from tray.
6. Garnish with your favorite herbs. Serve these crispy baked smashed cajun spiced potatoes.
Cajun Spiced Potatoes
- 1/2 kg baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup oil to shallow fry
Cajun Mayonnaise Sauce
- Wash and clean the potatoes well
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle only
- Once done, cool the potatoes
- Once potatoes are cooked and a little cold, press them lightly putting pressure from the base of the palm. Don't press very hard
- Prepare a coating mixture with refined flour and cornstarch in a 2:1 ratio
- Mix water to make a thin mixture
- Now coat the smashed potatoes in the flour mixture
- Shallow fry the coated potatoes till crispy
- Drain out excess oil
Prepare Mayonnaise Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, take mayonnaise
- Add cajun seasoning mix (onion powder + garlic powder + paprika + oregano + thyme + red chilli flakes + black pepper + salt)
- Squeeze out the fresh lemon juice
- Give it a nice stir mixing all ingredients
- Now add milk to dilute the mixture of mayo and cajun spice
- Now pour the sauce over potatoes
- Garnish with finely chopped onions and cilantro leaves
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy a product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)