This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Vermicelli Pudding | Semiya Kheer | Sevai Kheer | Semiya Payasam
Vermicelli pudding or semiya kheer is one of the most common and easy Indian dessert. This is easy to make and readily available in market. It takes hardly 10 minutes to prepare 4 servings of this pudding. It tastes great when chilled.
In Indian cuisine, our food menu is incomplete without desserts. Since this is an easy option and tastes equally great I prefer making this pudding for my family at least twice or thrice in a week.
To make it quickly there is only one step, i.e. to boil vermicelli or semiya in milk for 10 minutes till they are soft. Add sugar and chopped dry fruits. That’s it. Your sweet dish is ready now. You can add 1 tsp ghee or purified butter to this. But I prefer to keep it simple without ghee.
Since I use homemade and handmade vermicelli, these are already dry roasted before storing. So I don’t fry them before making any vermicelli recipe.
Yes, one thing special about this recipe is the vermicelli used here are hand made, home made by my mother-in-law. I tried learning this making of vermicelli from her this summer vacation. No doubt she has an expertise and can’t really match to her speed. “Practice makes you perfect” so true.
But If you are using market bought ones then first step is to fry it for 1 minute in ghee and then add milk to it and simmer.
Vermicelli Pudding from Homemade vermicelli
- 500 - 750 ml Full cream milk
- 1 cup Vermicelli
- 1/2 cup Sugar (8 - 10 tbsp or as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder (3 - 4 cardamom)
- 8 - 10 Cashew Nuts roughly chopped
- 8 - 10 Almonds roughly chopped
- 8 - 10 Pistachio roughly chopped
- 15 - 20 Raisins
- 5 - 6 Dates Roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- Heat ghee in a pan. Saute vermicelli for a minute. Don't brown it more. Remove in a dry plate.
- In the same pan, add milk and simmer for 15 minutes or till it reduced little.
- Add sugar and dry fruits and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add roasted vermicelli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off gas and transfer kheer to a clean bowl and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Garnish with some extra dry fruits and serve chilled.