Veg Arancini From Dal Khichdi
Arancini is an Italian dish. This is an easy, quick and delicious appetizer. Arancini is a mixture of rice or say risotto and cheese which are coated with bread crumbs and deep fried. So these are crispy and cheesy.
This veg arancini from dal khichdi is an Indian twist to this Italian snacks.
Making Arancini was in my to-do list since quite a long. But this one is little different with dal or lentils added to it. But trust me this has made it more delicious.
I had lots of leftover khichdi in refrigerator and I got this idea to use them in this way. Again my 4 yr old baby doesn't like to eat Khichdi. But he loved this crispy & cheesy bites recipe.
So this is a way we can give nutritious food to our kids. You can also add few vegetables if you are making them for kids.
These are crispy, cheesy and my kid loved this. So I got an excellent tiffin box idea now for him.
What is Dal Khichdi?
Khichdi is an Indian comfort food and an one pot dish in which rice and lentils are cooked together along with mild spices. I love this khichdi in a medium thick consistency and little bit of mushy. This is light for our tummy and hence good food if you have any stomach ailment.
In India this is a popular dish called as Dal Khichdi. Even if you are not in mood to cook anything, you can make this quick main course item which takes less than 10 minutes to make. Read Dal Khichi recipe here.
Serve them with curd items like raita, buttermilk or simply pickles. It also tastes great with an extra spoon full of ghee or melted butter on top of it.
You can make this appetizer from only left over rice as well.
How to prepare veg arancini?
Authentically arancini is cheesy rice balls prepared with risotto rice. But you can always do that experiment with other ingredients also.
For this recipe, I have taken grated mozzarella cheese. You can take any other processed cheese as well. If you want to make this more cheesy then stuff some extra cheese in the centre of the balls.
This is an easy snacks and best for any party and get-together. Quick, simple and yummy. I have served them with Curd & Cilantro Dip which goes well with these crispy bites. You can also serve them with regular coriander dip or with tomato ketchup.
So lets make these yummy arancini from khichdi.
Veg Arancini From Dal Khichdi
For Making Rice Balls
- 2 cup Dal Khichdi (leftover)
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic pods finely minced
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Paparika powder or any chilli powder
- 2 - 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 pinch Salt (optional as cheese and khichdi both has salt)
- 1/2 tsp Italian mixed herb (Oregano)
- Mash the leftover khichdi completely.
- Add all ingredients mentioned under making balls to the mashed khichdi.
- Knead to mix all ingredients properly. Make it like a soft dough.
- Greese your palms and take out small portions of lemon and roll it to smooth ball.
- Make all balls and keep aside in the refrigerator to set.
- Cover the box with a cling wrap or a cover when storing in refrigerator.
- You can prepare the mixture well ahead and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare a mixture of breadcrumbs, paparika and oregano for final coating of arancini balls.
- Prepare a slurry of refined flour, corn starch mixed together with water. It should be of flowing consistency.
- Take a ball and drop it in the mixture of flour and amke sure its wet with the thin paste or sluury.
- Take out and roll on the bread crumbs mixture. Repeat this for all balls and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry them till they are golden brown in color. Take out from oil and keep on paper napkin.
- Serve these yummy crispy and cheesy bites with any of your favorite dip or sauce.
PIN IT FOR LATER