This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Spicy No-Onion No-Garlic Brown Chickpeas Curry / Kala Chana Masala
Popularly this is known as kala chana masala. Kala chana or brown chickpea is a legume. These are called as brown chickpeas and black chickpeas also.
This recipe is very popular in North India. We normally make this curry on Ram Navmi i.e. after Navratri Vrat. And serve this as prasad. Hence this does not contain any onion & garlic but tastes equally great.
This is a no onion no garlic dish. But you can make the same curry with onion paste also.
You can make this super healthy curry in any weekdays as well as it’s really an easy and quick recipe. If you have soaked them, then boil and refrigerate for week. Take out required portion and make curry.
This is one of the best healthy food you can always rely on. They are high source of protein and fiber and hence good for weight-loss.
For weight loss diet you can make salads or can consume boiled or sprouted chickpeas also. Read my sprouted brown chickpeas fritters here.
This curry you can make as dry sauteed ones or even as with gravy depending on your choice. Method of preparation will be same.
This is a quick recipe made with aromatic Indian spices. It’s quick and easy to make. Only thing is you need to soak it overnight. These are hard legumes and required minimum 8 hours soaking.
Recipe Card For Kala Chana Masala
Kala Chana Masala
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 250 gms Brown Chickpeas/ black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green chillies sliced/ chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Soak the brown chickpeas or kala chana overnight.
- Then pressure cook for 8 - 10 whistles as it takes long to get cooked.
- Open lid of cooker when pressure is released.
- Heat a pan and add oil. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add crushed ginger, chopped tomatoes, green chillies and saute till they are soft.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add boiled chickpeas. Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup water as per consistency you need.
- Simmer for 5 minutes till it soaks the flavors of spices.
- Sprinkle some garam masala (optional) and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Season with salt.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Kala chana masala is ready to serve.
Read my collection of Best North Indian Curry Recipes here.
This is a vegan and gluten free recipe. You can add boiled potatoes while sauteing black chickpeas. You can also add some paneer cubes or tofu (vegan) if you wish to give a punch of protein.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER