This creamy spinach mushroom soup is another healthy soup you can enjoy anytime. Spinach Mushroom Soup is an easy recipe, plus it takes less than 20 minutes. Such warm light comforting soup is completely vegan and is perfect for lunch or supper.
This vegan spinach mushroom soup is an easy and healthy soup you can enjoy anytime or say in any season. But fall and winters are just so perfect for such delicious soups. The combination of two healthy and low-carb veggies makes this perfect for any kind of diet including the Keto Diet.
This is a comforting soup and it's perfect to add to your lunch or dinner menu. Pair it up with bread or bread croutons, or some sauteed veggies.
Also, this is made with all plant-based ingredients only. So if you are vegan and into the keto diet, you may love this soup.
Spinach & Mushroom Soup
This is an easy one-pot soup recipe. It's filling and will keep you full for longer and stop food cravings. The high protein and fiber help in weight loss.
This soup is so easy to make. And it takes only 15 - 20 minutes to prepare this recipe. This is a vegan soup and hence dairy-free. However, if you are non-vegan, can add heavy cream to the soup. But since this soup has no cream or dairy added to it, this is also very light to the tummy and easily digestible. Yet it keeps full for longer.
However, you can also add coconut cream to make this soup creamy and richer. Spinach Mushroom Soup can be made in 2 ways - creamy soup, or clear soup. I will mention both the ways to make the soup.
Check out my vegetarian keto recipes on the blog.
Healthy for the digestive system
keeps full for longer
delicious in taste
can be made creamy or clear soup
few ingredients required
instant soup takes 15 - 20 minutes
Spinach leaves - Baby spinach or regular
Mushrooms - button mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms, or any mushrooms available
Onion - red or white onions - substitute with onion powder
Garlic - fresh minced garlic adds the best flavor. However, can substitute with garlic powder. I recommend not to skip garlic in the soup, and raw minced garlic is the best in flavors.
Olive oil - or any vegetable oil
Seasonings - Salt & black pepper to taste
Herbs - Thyme or rosemary - fresh herbs or dried as available
Veg Broth - for the best flavor
Coconut milk (Optional)- or coconut cream or dairy-free yogurt
Ingredients For Mushroom Spinach Clear Soup
Spinach leaves, mushrooms, olive oil, onion, fresh minced garlic, a pinch of chili pepper flakes, vegetable stock, soy sauce, a dash of white vinegar, salt & black pepper
How To Make Spinach Mushroom Soup?
1. Method - Creamy Soup
Heat oil in a pot. Add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute for 2 minutes with continuous stirring, till it becomes translucent.
Now add the herbs (dried or fresh) and chopped mushrooms. Saute for another 1 - 2 minutes on high flame. Now mushrooms will start releasing water.
At this point, you can remove some of the mushrooms for future use as topping on the soup. Or you can saute a few mushrooms separately too. However, this step is optional.
Then add the vegetable broth and simmer for 7 - 8 minutes. Now add the spinach greens to the soup and cook for 2 minutes or till it wilts. Don't overcook after adding spinach otherwise, spinach will lose color and nutrition.
Remove from heat and with help of an immersion blender, blend this to puree. Add coconut milk and again simmer the puree for a minute. Skip adding coconut milk if you are looking for low calories soup. I make them without coconut milk too often. And they turn out to be delicious too.
Add mushroom toppings that we reserved earlier. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper in the soup. For a kick of heat add a few chili flakes. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil over them.
Method 2 - Variation - Clear Soup
To make this a clear soup, you need a few variations in ingredients and the cooking process.
To add flavor to the clear spinach mushroom soup, you will need soy sauce for that umami flavor. Also, a dash of vinegar adds a nice flavor to the soup. If you like a slight kick of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
To make the soup heat oil in a soup pan. Add diced garlic and onions to the oil and saute for 2 minutes or till translucent. Add a pinch of chili flakes to this.
Next, add mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes on high flame. Then add vegetable broth, soy sauce, and vinegar to the pan and let it simmer till the mushrooms are cooked. This may take 5 - 6 minutes.
Then add spinach greens and cook till it's wilted, maybe for 2 minutes only. Adjust salt and pepper as required. A delicious and light and healthy soup is ready. Serve with some extra scallions on top.
Pro Tips -
Preserve a few mushrooms or saute some separately to add them to the soup. This gives a chunky bite to the soup. Ignore if you make them smooth creamy or other variations of it as a clear soup.
Don't overcook spinach as it will turn pale and lose nutrients when cooked long. So add them towards the end of cooking.
Don't wash the mushrooms. Clean them with the help of a damp cloth. Check it out here.
You can also make the soup completely oil-free by skipping the sauteing step. Instead, you can simmer everything in one pot and follow other instructions.
F A Qs
When to add spinach to the soup?
You should add spinach towards the end of the cooking process. And cook them until the leaves are just wilted. This will help in retaining the color and nutrition of the soup and make it vibrant. Otherwise, the soup may also look pale.
Is this soup low carb?
Yes, this soup is low carb since both the vegetables (spinach and mushrooms) are low-carb, low-calorie vegetables. This soup is keto-friendly also.
How to store and Reheat?
To store make sure the soup is at room temperature. Transfer the soup to an air-tight container with a tight lid. Store in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days.
Recipe Card for Spinach Mushroom Soup
Creamy Spinach Mushroom Soup - Vegan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic 6 - 8 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp coconut milk for creamy soup only
- 1 tbsp soy sauce for clear soup only
- 1 tsp white vinegar for clear soup only
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes for clear soup only
- Heat oil in a pot/ soup pan.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes with continuous stirring, till it becomes translucent.
- Now add the herbs (dried or fresh) and chopped mushrooms.
- Saute for another 1 - 2 minutes on high flame.
- Now mushrooms will start releasing water. At this point, you can remove some of the mushrooms for future use as topping on the soup. Or you can saute few mushrooms separately too. However, this step is optional.
- Then add the vegetable broth and simmer for 7 - 8 minutes.
- Now add the spinach greens to the soup and cook for 2 minutes or till it wilts. Don't overcook after adding spinach otherwise, spinach will lose color and nutrition.
- Remove from heat and with help of an immersion blender, blend this to puree.
- Add coconut milk and again simmer the puree for a minute. Skip adding coconut milk if you are looking for low calories soup.
- Add mushroom toppings that we have reserved earlhem.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper in the soup. For a kick of heat add a bit of chilli flakes. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil over them.
Variation - Clear Soup with spinach & Mushrooms
- Heat oil in a soup pan.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute for 2 minutes.
- If you like a slight heat, add red pepper flakes now. Else skip this step.
- Then add mushrooms and saute for 1 - 2 minutes more.
- Then add vegetable broth, soy sauce, vinegar to the pan.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Then add spinach greens and cook for 2 minutes until the leaves wilted.
- Turn off the heat.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with some extra chopped scallions on top.