This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Air fryer fajita vegetables are delicious and satisfying meal that is so quick and easy to make. This makes a perfect lazy vegan meal for a weekday’s lunch or dinner recipe that takes less than 15 minutes.
These air fryer fajita vegetables are too good to add to your quick meatless meals. Load your vegetarian fajitas with mushrooms or beans and make your weekday’s lazy dinners. The whole meal won’t take more than 20 minutes. While air frying the veggies, saute the beans, warm the tortillas. Top the fajitas with simple vegan sour cream or any cream of choice.
Fajita vegetables are too delicious and flavorful. The air fryer has made things easier and you don’t need to stand and stir the veggies. You can also make them in the oven too. But air fryer takes half the time and makes it quicker. Here is my other vegetarian air fryer recipes on the blog.
Add any plant-based protein to the vegetables for vegan fajitas. I do add mushrooms, pinto beans, corns to the fajitas. These are super easy yet delicious and filling too. Read my tofu fajita and vegetarian fajitas recipe. This Tex-Mex dish is always a hit in my family. All loved these varieties of meatless fajitas. We infact love Tex-Mex cuisine from bottom of our heart.
Ingredients you need:
You don’t need any fancy ingredients for the vegetarian fajitas. For vegetarian fajitas you will need some vegetables, spices.
Vegetables – red onions, bell peppers, mushrooms. Take bell peppers of any color available to you. No hard rule of any particular peppers. But these are the main ingredients.
Portobello mushrooms are the best to use for the vegetarian fajitas. It adds a meaty texture to the veggies. But you can also add oyester mushrooms or bottom mushrooms for these veggies fajitas.
Spices – The basic fajita spice mix along with some olive oil and vegetable broth. If you don’t have fajita mix, mix these spices – cumin powder, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt.
For Serving – Tortillas, cilantro leaves, vegan crema or vegan sour cream, lemon juice. Even vegan yogurt will make a great topping to substitute vegan crema.
How to make fajita vegetables in an air fryer?
In a small bowl add the spices along with some vegetable broth and olive oil. Stir nicely.
Slice the vegetable into strips. Place the vegetables on a large plate. Pour the prepared sauce on the veggies. If possible marinate for 1 hour. This will make the veggies absorb flavor nicely. However, you can also marinate them for 15 – 20 minutes.
Preheat the air fryer at 390F for 3 minutes. If your air fryer says preheating is not required, you may skip this. Now transfer the veggies to the air fryer basket. If a little sauce left (1 – 2 tbsp), add that to the veggies. It will drip at the bottom of the air fryer basket but it helps in keeping the veggies moist while getting cooked and stop over-drying the veggies.
Then start the air fryer at 390 F (195 C) for 10 – 12 minutes. Check and toss in every 5 minutes for even cooking. If you like more done, cook for 2 minutes more or till it gets a little charred.
Once cooked perfectly, remove from the air fryer and serve with tortillas along with your favorite toppings.
Recipe Card for Air Fryer Fajita Vegetables
Air Fryer Fajita Vegetables
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 200 gms mushrooms
- 6 – 8 roma tomatoes
Prepare the marinade
- In a small bowl, add all the spices mentioned above in the ingredients list.
- Whisk them nicely mixing the spices with broth and oil.
Marinate the veggies
- Slice the vegetables into stripes.
- Place the vegetables on a large plate.
- Pour the prepared sauce on the veggies.
- Marinate the veggies for 1 hour. This will make the veggies absorb flavor nicely.
- Otherwise marinate the veggies for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Preheat the air fryer
- In the meanwhile preheat the air fryer at 195 C or 390 F for 3 minutes.
Air Fry the veggies
- Transfer the marinated veggies to the air fryer basket.
- If there is excess of 1 – 2 tbsp marinade left after transferring the veggies, add that to the veggies. This will keep the veggies moist and will stop over drying the veggies.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes at 390 F (195C).
- Pause and toss the veggies at every 5 minutes interval for even cooking.
- Once the veggies look cooked and charred, remove the veggies from the air fryer.
- If you need more charred veggies, cook for another 2 minutes.
Serve the fajita veggies
- Warm soft tortillas on a skillet or on direct flame using a tong.
- Place the fajita veggies on the tortillas.
- Add other toppings and some chopped cilantro leaves
- Add vegan crema or guacamole and serve.
- Or serve in the vegan burrito bowl.