Vegan broccoli pasta is a quick 15-minute pasta, perfect for your quick lazy dinner menu. This creamy vegan pasta is so easy to make yet delicious and healthy.
This quick broccoli pasta is made with minimum staple ingredients that are readily available in our pantry and no other fancy ingredients. This broccoli pasta is vegan. However, if you are vegetarian, you can make this pasta with cream cheese sauce or any cheese sauce.
In this creamy broccoli pasta, I have used a vegan cream sauce. There are many other alternatives to this as well, like cashew cream, etc.
Also, you can simmer broccoli along with pasta or add sauteed broccoli to it. You can also make them mushy sauce as per taste preference. If you love broccoli, then must read the delicious vegan broccoli recipes.
Ingredients for vegan broccoli pasta:
Broccoli - 1 large head cut into bite-sized florets. Cut them into the size you desire.
Pasta - any kind of pasta works. I love to make this with spaghetti, penne, and fusilli as well. Here I have taken spaghetti pasta
Flour - All-purpose flour or wheat flour. For gluten-free use gluten-free flour
Plant-based milk - Unsweetened almond milk or any plant-based milk
Garlic - Fresh garlic minced or finely chopped. Substitute - garlic powder. But fresh garlic adds a strong flavor.
Onion- this is optional. You can skip this or substitute it with onion powder.
Olive oil - or vegan butter
Lemon - For lemony tangy flavor. However, this is optional too.
Salt & pepper - as per taste
Italian herbs - I love oregano in my pasta. You can add any herbs of your choice. Also, fresh parsley is a great addition. Alternatively, you can add Italian seasoning of dry herbs.
How to make vegan broccoli pasta?
Boil pasta - Heat water in a saucepan. Add salt generously. When it starts to boil add the pasta and let it simmer till pasta is cooked al dente. Reserve 1/2 - 3/4 cup pasta cooking water. The starchy pasta water helps to increase the amount of sauce and adds the flavor of the pasta.
Cook broccoli - Cut out the stalks of the florets, and chop them into smaller pieces. You can cook the broccoli in two ways here, i.e. steam/ blanch the broccoli along with pasta, or saute the broccoli florets.
If cooking it with pasta, then add the florets to the pasta in the last 2 - 3 minutes. Drain out the pasta and broccoli.
Heat oil, add garlic, onion (optional), and broccoli, and saute on medium heat for 3 minutes stirring in between.
Prepare the sauce - While the broccoli is cooked, remove them to another plate. In the same pan add oil more. Add onion and garlic. Saute for a minute. Add the flour and saute for another minute.
Then add the plant-based milk gradually and stir till smooth with no lumps. Simmer for a minute or till makes a creamy texture. Now add salt as required, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Add the broccoli and pasta - Now add the pasta and broccoli to the sauce. Add the pasta water if required and toss them. Simmer for 1 - 2 minutes till get the desired consistency.
Tip for the best vegan broccoli pasta
Any type of pasta works well in this recipe. However, the small and with curves/ folds work best to hold the sauce in case you have diced the florets smaller. Even long spaghetti is good for this vegan broccoli pasta.
While cooking pasta, add salt generously to the water. Pasta should be cooked al dente (just cooked) and not more than that.
Must preserve some pasta water while cooking pasta to use further while making the sauce. It will add real flavor to the sauce and make a good quantity of sauce for the pasta.
You can also make this broccoli pasta completely gluten-free by substituting regular pasta with gluten-free pasta like rice pasta and many more gluten-free options are available in the market.
If vegetarian, can use cream cheese for the pasta sauce.
Vegan Broccoli Pasta
Vegan Broccoli Pasta
- 16 oz spaghetti pasta or any small pasta
- 1 ltr water to boil pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced/pressed substitute - 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chopped onion sub- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup plant-based milk preferably unsweetened almond milk
- 3 - 4 tbsp flour/ whole wheat flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp Italian herbs or oregano
- Chilli flakes optional
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast optional for cheesy flavor
- In a saucepan, heat water and bring it to a boil.
- Add salt to the water.
- When it starts to boil, add pasta.
- Cook the pasta as the packet instructions mentioned.
- While cooking pasta, preserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water for further use.
- Once cooked al dente, strain out using a colander.
- In a pan heat some oil.
- Add garlic, onion saute for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Then add the broccoli florets and saute for 3 - 4 minutes, till they turn tender.
- Don't overcook the broccoli as well.
- When cooked, remove the broccoli to another bowl or just push them to one side of the pan making space to saute the flour for sauce.
- If required, add a teaspoon oil on the blank side of the pan.
- Add 1.5 - 2 tbsp flour and stir continuously while sauteing the flour on low heat.
- It may take 1 - 2 minutes maximum.
- Then add plant-based milk to the flour slowly and gradually mixing it well.
- Stir continuosly making this completely lumps-free.
- Once it's lumps-free, bring it to simmer.
- Add some preserved pasta water to increase the sauce amount if you need.
- Simmer till get the creamy saucy consistency.
- Add salt (if required at all), pepper, oregano to the sauce. Also, add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. (optional)
- Next add the broccoli florets, followed by the pasta.
- Stir them gently to mix them all well.
- Turn off heat and serve hot.
- Sprinkle some chilli flakes, parsley for seasoning. (Optional)