This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Air fryer croquettes – 2 ways, i.e, frozen croquettes and homemade croquettes. Make these tiny snacks and appetizers quickly and effortlessly in the air fryer.
I must say this is a healthier alternative to the deep-fried croquettes and without compromising the taste and texture. It turns the same crispy too when air fried. Too good as an appetizer to serve in any parties, quick get together, etc. Kid’s friendly as well.
You can make frozen croquettes or make them from scratch at home only. Both the ways it’s easy if you follow these instructions. No doubt, if you are making the frozen croquettes, you don’t have to do anything other than setting your temperature and timing.
Check out my other air fryer appetizers here on the blog.
Frozen Croquettes In The Air Fryer
If you are making the croquettes in the air fryer, you don’t have to do much. Just place the croquettes in the air fryer and it will do the magic.
Preheat the air fryer. Place the perforated parchment paper and then croquettes on them. Start the air fryer at 400 F for 8 – 10 minutes. Check it every 4 minutes and shake or flip lightly for even cooking.
Here I will strongly recommend using parchment papers if you are using cheese stuffing. This is because the frozen ones may stick to the basket since the cheese may ooze out of any small cracks and will stick to the base or with each other. If you are not adding any cheese to it, you can place them directly in the greased basket. But when it’s without the cheese, then parchment paper is not necessary. This is from my tried and tested experiments.
Homemade Croquettes in Air Fryer
Cook the Potatoes
Cook potatoes and cool them before adding other ingredients to them. When cooled, it will bind better and the mixture won’t turn sticky n soggy.
Cook the potatoes on stovetop or in the instant pot.
Instant pot potatoes – Place the potatoes on the trivet. Add 1 cup of water to the inner pot. Close the lid. Start manual PRESSURE COOK mode on HIGH pressure for 7 – 10 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. (No need to dice the potatoes first. ) SEAL the venting knob. Once it reaches the pressure level in 7 – 8 minutes, the cooking timer will start. Once it beeps, let it be on natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Then quick release the rest of the pressure.
Prepare mashed potato mixture
Once done, remove the potatoes and allow them to cool down to room temperature. Mash the potatoes once they are cold enough. Add corn, peas, bell peppers, etc., breadcrumbs, spices to the potatoes. Mix them well.
Now divide the potato mixture into small roundels. Take one roundel and flatten making a disc. Place the grated mozzarella cheese or any meltable cheese or cheese stick. And close the sides covering the cheese stuffing. Roll gently making small logs or sticks. Repeat for all the logs. You can also shape them into balls.
Coating with breadcrumbs
Take 2 bowls. In 1 make a slurry by mixing cornstarch and plant-based milk. In the 2nd bowl place the breadcrumbs. Add Italian seasoning to the bread crumbs. Repeat for all.
Air Fry the Croquettes
Now Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes. Place perforated butter paper and brush it lightly with oil. Place the croquettes on the parchment paper. Spray little oil on the croquettes. Place the basket inside and start the air fryer at 375F (190 C) for 10 – 12 minutes. Flip them at around 8 minutes mark with help of a tong. Then change the temperature to 400 F for 3 – 5 minutes. This will help in making the croquettes crispier.
No air fryer? No problem. You can bake them too. Place the roquettes on a baking tray lined with parchment and greased. Bake them at 400 F for 15 – 20 minutes or till they get brown to golden and crispy. Flip them halfways.
Tips for best air fryer croquettes
Cool down the potatoes before mixing other ingredients. Add corns, peppers, peas, etc to the potatoes mix.
To make the croquettes crispy, take a mix of brown bread crumbs and panko crumbs. For glute-free take rice crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs.
Use perforated parchment papers to line the basket. Use the parchment paper only after preheating the air fryer.
Don’t overcrowd the basket. Place the croquettes in a single layer.
Use any meltable cheese, processed cheese for the stuffing. Some of them are mozzarella, gouda, cheddar cheese. Can also use mozzarella sticks as stuffing. I use mozzarella cheese for my croquettes.
To make this vegan, use vegan cheese.
Shape it into small balls or logs as you like. Make then even size every batch.
For vegetarian, use eggwash in place of cornstarch slurry.
Storing Leftover & Reheating
To store the leftover, let it cool down to room temperature. Store in the air tight box. Stays good for 2 – 3 days.
To reheat, place them into the air fryer basket. Heat at 400 F for 2 minutes.
Freezing the croquettes (Make Ahead Croquettes)
To freeze the croquettes, place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place it inside freezer for up to 2 – 3 hours. Then transfer the frozen croquettes into a freezer bag. Store in freezer for future use. IT stays good for up to 2 months. To make the frozen croquettes, place them in the air fryer and heat at 400 F for 5 – 7 minutes till it’s done.
Air Fryer Croquettes
Air Fryer Croquettes
- Instant Pot
- 4 medium potatoes 1 lb
- ½ bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped or 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1 tsp parsley finely chopped/ or dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs oregano, basil, parsley
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¾ – 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or shredded vegan cheese)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch for slurry
- 1 cup bread crumbs/ refined flour for coating
- Cook potatoes in an Instant pot or stovetop.
- Remove the potato skins.
- Then mash or grate it completely using a potato masher.
- Cool it completely before adding any ingredients.
- Add chopped veggies, spices and herbs to the mashed potatoes.
- Make small roundels of equal size from the potato mixture.
- Then apply oil on both palms. Take a ball, press it lightly to flatten slightly.
- Put some shredded cheese in centre.
- Seal it from all ends and roll it to make a ball again.
- Repeat this for all balls and make stuffed balls.
- Roll the balls lightly making small logs.
- Make a slurry of flowing consistency by mixing cornstarch and water.
- Dip the shaped potato balls or logs into the slurry.
- Remove from the slurry and roll them on bread crumbs.
- Repeat this for all stuffed croquettes.
Air Fry the Potato Croquettes
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes.
- Then Grease the air fryer basket with oil sprayer.
- Place the coated croquettes, in the basket.
- From top spray some oil to coat them lightly.
- Place the basket inside and start the air fryer at 375 F/ 190 C for 15 minutes, till it turns golden and crispy.
- Flipping is not required though.
- Remove when you feel these are done perfectly.
- Serve with your favorite dip.
Air Fryer Frozen Potato Croquettes
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes.
- Place the potato croquettes in the air fryer basket.
- No need to spray oil since frozen has already oil in it.
- Start the air fryer at 400 F for 10 – 12 minutes.
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Or Join my Facebook groups for Vegan Food and Air Fryer Recipes. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.