Steamed Veg Momos | Vegetable Dim Sum recipe
Learn how to make Steamed Veg Momos | Vegetable Dim Sum recipe with spicy hot momos chutney recipe
Veg momos or veg dim sum is the most common and popular street food in Delhi. Though I’m not a big fan of momos, I love the steamed version of it.
Momos can be prepared in different ways, e.g. steamed, pan-fried, deep-fried. I like steamed momos the most than the other 2 types. There is another type of momo I have made recently and will share the recipe soon.
Momos are street foods that make awesome snack items. But these taste great when hot. I try to limit my intake when it comes to momos. You may not realize while eating and this will upset your stomach if you overeat these flour items.
What is momo?
Momo is a bite-sized dumpling made with refined flour and stuffed with veg and nonvegetarian stuffings. sauteed vegetables crumbled paneer and other meat items also.
Momo is also known as dim sum and wantons.
Originally this is an Asian dish that belongs to Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, China. This is also very popular in North -East India. It’s one of the popular street-food in North India.
However, the method of preparation varies. Like I mentioned before, one is steaming, second is pan-frying and another is deep frying. There is another variety you may love i.e. Tandoori Momos.
This recipe is basic veg momos which are steamed. This is a quick and easy snack item and doesn’t take long to make this.
How To Make Veg Steamed Momos?
I will divide the process into two parts.
Part I: Making stuffing
Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies. Saute for a minute. Add chopped onions, shredded cabbage, grated carrots, finely chopped bell peppers.
To this add salt to taste, black pepper, soy sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Don’t overcook. It should be al dente.
Remove from pan and keep aside to cool for some time.
Part II: Shaping and steaming
In a mixing bowl take refined flour. Add a pinch of salt. Knead it to a dough by adding water. Add water gradually and slowly and make a semi-stiff dough.
Brush it with oil and keep aside for 15 – 20 minutes. Then divide into small roundels.
Then roll it into thin circles. Dust with flour when required.
Now place 1 tbsp stuffing in the center and start making pleats on edges. Seal all pleats by pressing lightly and twist slightly in the center.
Repeat for all and place it in a steamer. Cover the lid of the steamer and steam it for 10 – 15 minutes.
Steamed momos are ready and remove from steamer and serve with spicy momos chutney
How to make momos chutney?
Take 3 tomatoes, 6 – 7 dry red chilies in a saucepan. Add some water and now boil it for 3 – 5 minutes.
Scrap out the skin of tomatoes and add to a blender jar. Add red chilies (boiled), garlic, ginger, vinegar, sugar, salt and blend it to a smooth paste. Momos chutney is ready.
Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 crushed garlic (optional). Now add the pureed tomato and red chilli paste. MIx well and simmer for a minute or 2 till paste is little thicker and gives a nice texture.
Serve momos hot with spicy chutney.
Recipe Card for Veg Momos (Steamed)
Steamed Veg Momos | Vegetable Dim Sum Recipe
- In a mixing bowl take refined flour. Add a pinch of salt.
- Knead it to a dough by adding water. Add water gradually and slowly and make the semi-stiff dough.
- Brush it with oil and keep aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, ginger, green chilies. Sauté for a minute. Add
chopped onions, shredded cabbage, grated carrots, and finely chopped bell peppers.
- To this add salt to taste, black pepper, soy sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Don't overcook. It should be al dente.
- Remove from pan and keep aside to cool for some time.
Shaping dumplings and steaming
- Take out the dough and knead for another minute.
- Divide into equal small roundels.
- Roll out with help of rolling pin and board to thin circles.
- Place 1 tbsp prepared stuffing in the center.
- Now start doing pleats from the edge. Press it lightly to stick the plates.
- Twist slightly in center to seal the edges.
- Now place the momos in a steamer.
- Close lid of steamer and steam for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Take out from steamer and serve hot spicy chutney
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER