Are you looking for quick vegan spinach recipes!! This sauteed spinach and tomatoes are perfect for this. This is not only vegan but also gluten-free as well. Plus this is a quick and easy vegan recipe for your lazy dinners.
Spinach is one of the best vegetables we should include in our daily diet for sure. This green leafy vegetable makes delicious recipes along with added health benefits.
Read more about the health benefits of spinach along with 15 vegetarian spinach recipes here on the blog & also some great ideas on vegan spinach recipes too.
This sauteed spinach and tomatoes make a great side dish to accompany any family meal on weekdays. Even for any family parties when you are making it in large quantities. This sauteed spinach with tomatoes is vegan, gluten-free, and a nutrient-dense side dish that takes only 15 - 20 minutes to cook.
When we are making this sauteed spinach recipe, let us understand some frequently asked questions about sauteed spinach and tomatoes recipe.
How to sauté spinach?
Spinach is a leafy vegetable that takes only a few minutes to cook nicely till wilted. We should not add any water when we are making sauteed spinach since spinach has already lots of water in it. So any excess water will take more time to evaporate. And in this way, the spinach will get overcooked instead of perfectly wilted spinach.
How do you keep spinach from getting watery?
Since spinach leaves release natural water while cooking, it's essential to keep the leaves as dry as possible. I recommend using a salad spinner to dry out the leaves after cleaning or keep it open to air dry for some time at least. This will fasten the cooking process without changing the color and texture and color of the green leaves.
What happens when spinach is overcooked?
When we overcook spinach (cook in the wrong way), the dark green starts to look pale. And also when we overcook it, it tends to lose many essential nutrients. Check out my post on wilted spinach.
Is it okay to cook tomato and spinach together?
You can cook them together but should consume in moderate quantities since both of them are rich in oxalates and may be risky for kidney stones.
How to Make Sauteed Spinach and Tomatoes?
This is a simple recipe with only 4 - 5 ingredients. The ingredients are:
Spinach - A few handful of fresh spinach leaves (baby spinach or regular chopped spinach)
Tomatoes - Cherry tomatoes, or diced regular ripe tomatoes (remove seeds & juices to reduce the cooking time)
Olive oil - to saute or substitute with any neutral vegetable oil.
Garlic - this will add a fresh aroma to the dish. add garlic generously. May add fresh garlic minced or chopped finely. Substitute with garlic powder or dried garlic granules. Though I would suggest to go for fresh garlic for better flavor, you can use any of them depending on their avalability.
Seasoning - Salt & black pepper freshly crushed
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add some chopped garlic. And saute for a minute on low heat. You can also add some chopped onions here.
2. Next add tomatoes and cook on high flame for 2 - 3 minutes. If using cherry tomatoes, they will open out in the pan leaving the juices. Keep the flame on high and keep stirring continuously.
3. Then add spinach greens and toss them. Season with salt and pepper. Keep the flame high as spinach will also release its water. Sauté till spinach is just wilted.
If you want your sauteed spinach and tomatoes a little juicy, keep the flame on medium heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 2 minutes. Otherwise, keep it on high heat and stir occasionally.
You can also wilt the spinach and then add chopped tomatoes if you don't like tomatoes to be mushy.
Sauteed Spinach And Tomatoes
Sauteed Spinach and Tomatoes
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add some chopped garlic.
- Saute for a minute on low flame.
- Add some chopped onions and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes till tomatoes are soft.
- The whole tomatoes will split leaving the skin and it will turn juicy.
- Cook on high heat while cooking the tomatoes.
- Now add spinach gradually and allow it to wilt and shrink in size.
- Now give it a gentle stir.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper now.
- Cook the spinach on medium heat.
- Here spinach will release some more liquid.
- Keep the flame high to avoid overcooking the leaves.
- In 3 minutes spinach will be cooked completely.
- Now turn off heat.
- If you don't want it with any juices, then cook it for another 1 - 2 minute on high flame.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on Twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa