This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Low Carb Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Monsoon and hot soups!! what a divine combination. In western part of India monsoon has arrived with drizzles and heavy showers accompanied with chilled wind, cold weather. Like we need some cold food to beat the heat of hot sunny summers, our body crave for hot beverages and some crispy fritters to accompany the fizzy weather. In this damp and moist weather germs and bacteria also breeds rapidly. Research has shown that our immunity system tend to be low in monsoon & makes us susceptible to diseases like cold, flu and digestive tract infection which are very common diseases associated with monsoon. Intake water carefully as these are the place where germs develop and so are the diseases. For this reason I say a strict no to any outside food especially street foods.
So to stay strong we need to develop healthy food habit for this monsoon. And to break the stereotype food habit of hot tea & coffee & fritters, why not welcome this monsoon with some healthy and flavorful piping hot soups. Soups are nutritious, keeps you full for longer. Also as these are light so easily digestible and helps in reducing inflammation and stomach flatulence.
So lets get started developing a healthy habit with one more super-food Pumpkin. Pumpkin is a versatile vegetable. This is used for both sweet delicacies as well as savory preparations. Both seeds and vegetable have nutritional values.
Pumpkin as a super-food
- Rich in Beta-carotene & vitamin A – Excellent for eye health and skin. It rejuvenates skin texture and color.
- Source of fibre, magnesium and potassium – Good for heart health, helps in digestion & weightloss
- High water content (90%)- Keeps hydrated & helps in weightloss
- Rich source of vitamin C – Boosts immunity & fight against cold & flu
- Pumpkin seeds rich in magnesium and helps reducing cholesterol and keeps heart healthy.
This pumpkin soup is really easy to prepare. Requires very less ingredients. If you will search for pumpkin soup you will get thousand recipes. Many of them are loaded with potatoes. But if you intend to make a low calorie and low carb soup then use only pumpkin. It’s a 3 step process.
I – Chop & saute Pumpkin, onion & garlic (Fresh Pumpkin)
II – Puree the sauteed pumpkin & onion garlic
III – Simmer for right consistency
Can you think of some more interesting and easy recipes?
Since I wanted to make this low carb, I have not added any cream to the soup. Here instead of cream I have used half tsp curd for garnish. The creaminess of the soup comes from the creamy pulp of pumpkin etc. for creamy texture you don’t need any additional cream to add. However adding cream will make it even richer but this is not compulsory. Again I have added some brown fried onions to add that crunchy bites inbetween.
Lets make this luscious creamy pumpkin soup.
I have used some brown onions for garnishing. This is optional you can skip this.
Low Carb Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 250 gm Pumpkin Chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Beaten curd/ Fresh cream For garnish
- 5 garlic finely minced
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Brown Onions (fried)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 pinch Oregano
- 1 pinch Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes or paparika powder (Optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tbsp finely minced garlic, saute till light brown. Add chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder.
- Add chopped pumpkin and saute in low flame till pumpkins are soft. Here you can add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and cool it for some time. Blend it to smooth paste using hand blender. If using mixer grinder then cool it completely else the lid will open up with air pressure if used while hot.
- Bring it to boil and simmer till you get right consistency. Season with salt and black pepper, oregano (Optional). To make it spicy add chilli flakes.
- Garnish with beaten curd or fresh cream and coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Pumpkin soup is ready.