This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Health Benefits of Green Gram (Green MoongDal)
Read here more about the health benefits of green gram or green moong dal. This is a pulse. Green moong is a lentil. Green gram is a superfood because of it’s nutrients.
Origin & Production
Green Gram or Moong beans were first cultivated in India. During Harappan civilization, these were produced in Punjab and Haryana. Today they are grown in India, China, all parts of Asia. But 70% of production comes from India.
India is the largest producer as well as consumer of green gram. Green gram accounts for 10 -15% of the total pulse production of the country. Moong production is largely concentrated (70%) in 5 states i.e. Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Gujurat & Bihar.
Green Gram in Indian Cuisine
Green gram bean otherwise known as moong dal is a staple food in Indian Cuisine. This is a lentil. that tastes great both in savory and sweet dishes. However, normally we make a sweet dessert with skinless yellow moong dal, like moong dal halwa or moong dal ladoo. This green moong dal goes well with rice and roti well. This is one of the easiest dishes to prepare.
You may consume them in raw soaked, in sprouted as well as in cooked form (whole or split). Then also it’s a versatile pulse that you can make curry, dal or even soup with it. Read my whole moong dal in two ways recipes here.
As this is lighter to tummy, this is used in the preparation of Khichdi. Khichdi is a mixture of rice and lentils cooked in a single pot. Read my moong dal khichdi recipe here.
This is tasty in all forms. It’s very filling and full of nutrition. Because of its nutritional properties, this is a superfood and essential for a healthy life. This is beneficial if you are planning for weight loss as well.
Note: Soak the dal for 3 -4 hours to get full nutrition of it. It will help to reduce anti-nutrients which are naturally present in all beans and legumes. This makes it easier to digest and reduces flatulence.
Nutritional Value of Green Gram:
This is the healthiest form of plant protein and has a huge amount of amino acids which are the building blocks of protein.
These are a high source of nutrients including manganese, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B.
It’s rich in protein and dietary fiber.
This lentil is low in carbohydrates which differentiates it from the other lentils. Due to low glycemic index, this is one of the superfoods for diabetic patients as it helps in regulating blood sugar.
Because of high protein and fiber, it helps in weight loss as well. The protein keeps you full for long giving a feeling of satiety and stops craving.
However, this superfood has many other properties. It also has anti-aging properties and helps in stimulating hyaluronic acid, collagen, and elastin and helps in keeping you younger.
Recent research has shown that having adequate vitamin K is important in preventing heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer, and even Alzheimer’s disease. And it has 32% Vitamin K per 1 serving. So one must include this in a daily diet to stay healthy.
1 Cup Cooked dal has 212k cal energy, protein 14g (48%), fat 1g (1%), fiber 15g (65%), sugar 4g. it has folate 321 mcg (100%), Magnesium 97mg (36%), vitamin B1 .33mg ( 36%), manganese 0.6mg (33%), zinc 7 mg (24%), calcium 55mg (5%), potassium 1246mg (36%),
Health Benefits of Green gram:
- These are easily digestible because of high fibers in it which in turn increases over all metabolism of body.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties. Hence helps in reducing bloating.
- As it has anti-oxidant property it helps in keeping the immune system strong.
- It contains a large no of phytonutrients which are anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory. Thus increases immunity and helps to fight harmful bacteria and virus.
- This is also rich in iron content and hence helpful in treating anaemia.
- The iron also helps in supplying oxygen to the blood and other tissues of our body.
- Because of high fibres and protein, it helps in fast weight-loss. Each 100gm has 15gm of dietary fiber.
- Its high potassium and low sodium helps in regulating blood pressure and keeping a check on it.
- It has anti-aging properties because of the copper content in it. It helps in secretion of elastin, collagen. And hence it makes you look prettier with radiant skin.
- Calcium content helps in keeping bones strong.
- The presence of magnesium helps in regulating BP. It eases blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.
- Due to the low glycemic index, this is one of the super foods for diabetic patients as it helps in regulating blood glucose levels and sugar.
Read Other Green Gram Recipes:
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER