Chole Masala | Vegan Chickpeas Curry
Chole masala is an authentic Punjabi cuisine. This is more popular in Northern part of our country. Although it’s equally loved in other parts as well.
Chole is one common party main course I must say. It combines well with bhature, poori, naan, tandoori roti or even with rice. It is that versatile. This is a complete food itself.
This is an easy Indian curry that will take 30 minutes to prepare. Only main task is we need to soak it overnight or 6 – 8 hours before cooking.
Chole or chickpeas is basically a pulse and this is a rich source of protein and hence one healthy food. This is excellent for weight-loss diet. Because of high protein, it keeps you full for longer. Excellent source of protein and helps in building muscles.
What is chole masala?
Chole masala is nothing but an authentic and traditional Indian curry made with chole or chickpeas. In this dish we cook soaked chole or chickpeas with onion tomato paste and some aromatic spices.
In this recipe we use more whole spices to bring in that aroma. Also there is separate mix of spice chole masala used for this dish.
In chole masala normally I add potatoes. I dice them into larger chunks like cut into halves or quarter ones. or to make it little healthy add spinach leaves also. Paneer or tofu is also a good option to add in with chickpea curry.
How to make Punjabi Chole Masala?
Soak chole for over night or 6 – 8 hrs. Then pressure cook for 6 – 8 whistles. While boiling chickpeas, add 1 tea bag with it. This is to make chole darker in color. However this is optional. I have not added it here.
Add whole spices (bay leaf, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon) also during pressure cooking. This will make the chole or chickpeas little more aromatic and flavorful.
Next, heat oil in a pan. Add a bay leaf, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and saute till fragrant.
Now add ginger garlic paste and saute till it leaves pungent smell. Then add onion paste and cook till it leaves oil.
Add tomato puree and saute till it’s cooked. Then add all spices and cook for 3 minutes.
Add boiled chickpeas or chole to the pan. Add little water and simmer for 5 – 7 minutes. Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve with roti or naan or even with rice.
Recipe Card for Chole Masala
- 1 cup chole
- Water to soak chole
- Soak chole or chickpeas for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook it for 6 – 8 whistles. Add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon and salt to the water while pressure cooking.
- Remove from water when pressure released on it's own.
- Don't discard that water. It will added while making gravy.
- You can remove whole spices or keep them with chole.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- Add bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon to the pan.
- Then Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute or half.
- Next add onion paste and saute till it's translucent and leaves oil on sides.
- Add tomato puree and simmer till it's cooked.
- Now add all dry spices and salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add 1/4 cup of water and simmer for a minute till it starts boiling.
- Add boiled chickpeas or chole to it. Add water to it.
- Now either pressure cook for one or two whistle or simmer in the same pan for another 5 – 7 minutes.
- At this stage I normally pressure cook for 2 more whistles.
- Also slightly mash some chole or chickpeas with back side of spatula. This will make the curry little thicker and will enhance the taste.
- Lastly garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with homemade bhature or naan or roti.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER