This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Carrots Semolina Porridge or Carrots Upma for Kids
Semolina Porridge or upma is a healthy and common breakfast item in any parts of India. This is light, easy to digest. Semolina is rich in fiber and keeps you full for longer. Semolina porridge can be a savoury dish or sweet dish also
Since this is light and easily digestible, this is highly recommended for kids. When my baby turned 9 months I started giving him semolina porridge. But remember to keep this in flowing (semisolid) consistency. But as they grow up you can start giving them regular ones which is cooked for adults.
For kids you can add different variation and nutrition to plain upma. Add any vegetables. I prefer to add potatoes, cauliflower, green peas, green beans, carrots, beets to the porridge for my kid. This is one of the way we can add nutrition of green vegetables.
Depending upon age of baby you can decide whether you need to grate the vegetables or keep chunks or small pieces. Below 1 year I would suggest you mash the vegetables completely as they can’t chew even smaller chunks.
If you are looking for other kid’s tiffin box recipes, read potato cheese sandwich, spinach corn sand
wich, bread rolls, aloo paratha, gobi paratha, paneer paratha, vegetable seekh kabab, hara bhara kabab, easy potato bites recipe on blog.
How to prepare carrots upma?
This recipe is as easy as plain porridge except only addition of hero ingredient carrots. I have grated carrots and sauted the with onion and then added the dry roasted semolina. Add water as per required consistency. Lets make this easy & healthy carrots upma for kids.
Carrots Semolina Porridge or Carrots Upma
- Heat Ghee/ clarified butter in a pan. Add mustard seeds & cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add curry leaves, onion, ginger and saute till onions are translucent.
- Add grated carrots and mix them well. saute on low flame till carrots are soft and cooked properly.
- Add 2 tbsp semolina and mix them together. saute for a minute. Add 3/4 glass water. Add salt and let it simmer and cook till required consistency. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps in porridge.
- Turn off heat and let it cool before feeding your baby.
- Stir continuously to avoid any lumps in porridge.