This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Pinwheel samosa is a variation to Indian Regular Samosa. This is vegan too. This is a puff pastry pinwheel with an Indian twist.
Samosa is one of the most popular Indian snacks and street food. This is very close to my heart too. Again I have some nostalgic story linked to my samosa love. But let’s come to the recipe and other related stuffs.
These mouth watering appetizers are best tea time evening snacks. It has regular potato stuffing. However you can add green peas also to it for variety. The stuffing in these puff pastry pinwheels or samosa pinwheels are spiced mashed potatoes.
Puff Pastry Pinwheel with Samosa Stuffing
This is one of the easy party snacking item to make at home. It hardly takes 20 – 25 minutes to make 30 – 40 Pinwheels. This can be a best appetizer to please crowd in any party. One of the best vegan appetizers.
To make these Indian style pinwheels, you can either use the store bought pastry puff sheets or make your pastry sheet at home. It’s not that difficult to make the pastry puff at home but if you want to save time for quick recipe, go for store bought pastry sheets. Both are equally good and makes crispy pastry puff.
Only thing to take care is the dough should be tight. While kneading dough first mix flour, sugar and salt completely. Then add cold unsalted butter and mix well with flour. If required add a little water gradually mixing and kneading a tight dough. Then keep in refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then again roll and shape into sheets. Keeping the dough cold is the key to best and perfect crispy pinwheels.
Samosa Stuffing for Pinwheels
Samosa stuffing is little spicy and has potatoes. So first make boiled potatoes either in an instant pot or on the stove top.
Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onions, minced ginger, garlic and sauté till onion is translucent. Add spices (cumin powder, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, pinch of turmeric powder, salt) to the pan. To make sure the spices are not burning, add 2 tbsp water to the pan. Now add the mashed potatoes and give a nice stir mixing all ingredients. Add a dash of lemon juice and 2 – 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves. Now the stuffing is ready.
Shape the pinwheels
Place the puff pastry sheet and dust little flour on the surface. Roll it up slightly with a rolling pin.
Now place the prepared stuffing and spread it evenly on the pastry sheet. Now from one side of the pastry sheet start rolling it towards the other end. Make a tight log and keep it in refrigerator for sometime wrapping in a cling wrap sheet. After 30 minutes, remove from the wrap and cut it into discs of 1 inch approximately.
Cook the puff pastry pinwheels
You can deep fry the pinwheels, or bake or air fry the pinwheels.
Deep Fry – Make a slurry of cornstarch. Dip the pinwheels and drop in hot oil. Fry it golden. Remove and place on paper napkins to soak excess oil
Bake the Pinwheels – Place the pinwheels on a greased baking tray and bake at 400F for 12 – 15 minutes flipping the sides.
Air Fry – Preheat the air fryer at 400F for 4 minutes. Then place the pinwheels in air fryer basket. Set timer to 8 minutes and temperature at 400 F or 200C. Flip at around 4 minutes. Timing may vary by 2 minutes approximately depending on the air fryer also.
Recipe Card for Puff Pastry Pinwheels
Puff Pastry Pinwheel Samosa
- Air Fryer or Oven
- Rolling Pin
- 1 pastry sheet
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder sub – 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garam masala optional
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger + garlic minced/ finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
Prepare samosa stuffing for pinwheels
- Boil potatoes in a saucepan or in an instant pot.
- Once potatoes are nicely cooked, remove and remove the skin.
- Mash the boiled potatoes.
- In a small pan, heat oil.
- Add chopped onion, ginger, garlic to it and sauté till translucent.
- Keep flame low and add the spices and salt.
- Quickly stir them and add the mashed potatoes to the pan.
- Mix all nicely.
- Add a dash of lemon juice and chopped cilantro leaves to the potatoes.
- Turn off heat and cool it little.
Prepare the pinwheels
- Dust the surface with little flour and place the pastry sheet.
- With a rolling pin, spread the sheet.
- Now place the stuffing on the pastry sheet and spread evenly.
- Now roll it up from one end to other end tightly.
- Cut the roll into one inch discs and press it slightly with fingers.
- In a bowl make a thin paste of refined flour and water. Now dip the slice into it to cover all ends with it.
- Heat oil in a frying pan in high flame. Now drop the coated slice of roll into hot oil.
- Fry till golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper napkin to remove excess oil. Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Deep Fry the Pinwheels
- Make a slurry of corn starch and water.
- Now dip each disc and drop into hot oil. This will help the stuffing to stay intact and ll not ooze out into the oil.
- Remove from oil once it's golden and crispy.
Bake the Pinwheels
- Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Place the pinwheels on a baking tray and bake at 400 F for 12 – 15 minutes flipping in the half ways.
Air Fryer Pinwheels
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes.
- Place the pinwheels in the air fryer basket.
- Start the air fryer at 400 F (200C) for 8 minutes.
- Flip in between at around 4 minutes mark.
- Remove once done nicely crisp.
- Time may vary by 1 or 2 minutes depending on the air fryer and pastry sheet as well.