Traditional Kadhi is one of the easiest and common dish in North Indian cuisine. This is made by mixing spiced curd and gramflour as thickening ingredient. Tampering can be done with only cumin seeds and asafoetida or 5 seeds (Cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and few fennel seeds) can be used. I like only cumin seeds and all other powdered spices. Kadhi goes best with plain steamed rice or jeera rice and paratha. However when we talk about kadhi it's not considered as very nutritious and healthy because of the addition of deep fried dumplings of gram flour (pakodas). So this version of Fenugreek & Spinach Kadhi is what you can always try. Trust me it tastes so yummy you will fall in love with this healthier version.
It has more of green leafy vegetables than flour and oils into it and that's how its more nutritious. Also the fried pakodas are replaced with healthier version by adding steamed/ boiled dumplings (Dhokli). So try this new version of Methi Palak Kadhi with steamed dhokli. This recipe is also useful and healthier for diabetic patients and is ketogenic diet.
Friends please try this yummy recipe and post your comments and feedback here. If you have done few more modification in the recipe then please share in comment as sharing is caring and we all will be happy to learn.
For Gravy of Kadhi
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Fenugreek leaves (Methi) Finely Chopped
- 1/2 - 1 cup Spinach leaves
- 1 cup Curd
- 1/2 Onion finely chopped
- 5 -6 Garlic buds Finely Chopped
- 2 Green Chillies Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Aamchur/ Dry mango powder
- 1/4 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi) For garnishing
Making Dumplings (Dhokli)
- Mix all ingredients together. If you dont like methi in dumplings then skip that. Mix water slowly to make batter of thick consistent.
- Heat water to boiling. Add 1/4 tsp salt to water. Once it starts boiling drop batter of small quantity (1/4 tsp batter at a time) with help of spoon.
- Let it boil for 5 - 7 minutes. Then strain out from water and keep aside
- Blanch palak or spinach leaves for 4 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately transfer to iced water to avoid discoloration of spinach leaves
- Blend Spinach with curd in food processor or mixer grinder to a fine paste. Don't add water while grinding. Don't strain the mixed spinach puree.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then add crushed garlic and saute. Add chopped onion and cook till translucent.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves. Saute for 5 minutes till they are soft and cooked. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well. Add 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder.
- Add spinach and curd puree to the pan and mix them thoroughly. Keep stirring till it comes to boiling point. Cook at medium to high flame but stir continuously.
- Once it starts boiling add the boiled dumplings to the kadhi. Garnish with dried fenugreek (Kasuri Methi) & coriander leaves. Stir for another 2 minutes and turn off the gas.
- After blanching spinach leaves immediately transfer to iced water else spinach will lose colour.
- You can adjust quantity of fenugreek and spinach as per your taste. To retain crunchiness of fenugreek take aside 2 tbsp of cooked methi leaves and use them garnishing kadhi.
- If you want more green colour then add lesser gram flour to the spinach and curd mixture. Also adding more gram flour will make the kadhi thicker. Adjust as per your taste.