Vegetarian Shammi Kabab [How to make vegetarian shammi kabab/ Shami kebab]
Shami kabab/ Shammi kabab/ shammi kebab is an Awadhi dish which is made from minced meat. However the vegetarian shammi kabab is generally made from black chickpeas/ brown chickpeas (kala chana). These are crisp and succulent. This is a simple recipe and also one of the healthiest party snacks item. Black chick peas are rich source of protein and fiber and it has many health benefits too. They help in weight loss and also keeps cholesterol level low. This is a good food for diabetic patients also. If you are following any particular diet, then you can simply have a cup of boiled chickpeas salad.
Also read other black chickpeas recipes:
- No Onion No Garlic Sauteed Chickpeas
- Sprouted Black Chickpeas Fritters
- Black Chickpeas Sweet Porridge
This is an easy to make snacks which takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. The only thing to do is soak the chickpeas overnight (6 – 8hrs) and boil them (pressure-cook for 6 -8 whistles). Grind to paste, add spices and shallow fry the kababs. While boiling you can add whole spices or else while binding you can add powdered whole spices (garam masala). Here I have added onion, whole spices along with boiled chickpeas while grinding. You can deep fry them also but however I have pan fried them. You can shape them as you wish. Just apply oil on both palms and shape the mixture. Serve these kababs with onion rings (with dash of lemon juice and black salt) or with cilantro dip (dhania chutney) or tomato ketchup. These can well combine with burger buns to make burger. Just add cheese spread or mayonese on both sides of bun, add some lettuce, onion rings for extra taste. Healthy burger is ready to serve.
This is somewhat similar to the falafel recipes which are made from garbanzo beans (white chickpeas). Read Sesame Falafel recipe here.
Read other kabab recipes also:
Lets make veg shammi kababs.
Vegetarian Shami Kabab
- 1 cup Dried black chickpeas/ kala chana
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic chopped minced
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Besan/ Gram flour
- Soak the kala chana in enough water for 7 - 8 hrs or overnight.
- Then pressure cook adding salt and water for 6 whistles or till its cooked completely.
- Wait till the lid opens up. Cool it completely.
- Add in finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala & salt as per taste, 1 green chilli, chopped garlic and ginger.
- Then grind it to paste adding Don't add water.
- In the mean while, dry roast 2 tbsp gram flour/ besan. roast till it becomes fragrant.
- Add it to the mixture of ground paste and mix well. Make it a dough.
- Divide into equal parts and make small balls. Apply oil on palms. Take balls on palms and press it gently making tikki shape. Or you may give it different shape.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pan fry the prepared patties. Make it in a batch of 6 - 8 kabab at a time. Don't over crowd the pan.
- Flip both sides till they are crisp and golden brown in color. Make sure its evenly cooked.
- Serve hot with onion & lemon salad.