Vegetable upma is a very common breakfast option in almost every kitchen of India. This is so easy to make along with it has nutritions of vegetables. This is variation to plain upma (Semolina porridge). Vegetables like potatoes, green peas, carrot, cauliflower, french beans are added in this version. For kids this is one of the best breakfast and tiffin item as its full of nutrition. If making for diabetic patients you may skip potatoes to it. You are free to add your choice of vegetables. It can be given toddlers and kids. Toddlers may not chew the vegetables. So when preparing for kids mash the boiled vegetables or grate them before adding to pan. This is an excellent food for kids.
Try the time saver plain rava upma
Try other semolina recipes: Sooji Halwa, Instant Vada, Instant Uttapam.
- Rava/ Semolina- 1 Cup
- Refined Oil- 4-5 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds: ¼ tea spoon
- Ginger- ¼inch finely chopped
- Onion- ½ finely chopped
- Tomato- ½ chopped
- Curry Leaves- 6-7
- Green Chilli- 1- 2 chopped
- Carrots -1 Peeled and diced
- Green Peas- ¼ Cup
- Potato- 1 peeled and diced
- Salt- 1/2 tea spoon or as per taste
- Take 1 cup of Rava or semolina and dry roast in a flat pan. It won’t take more than 3-4 mins. After 3mins remove from heat and keep in dry plate.
- Heat 5- 6 teaspoon refined oil on medium flame. Once the oil is hot put mustard seeds and let them splutter. You can add a pinch of cumin seeds also with it.
- After that put curry leaf, ginger, green chilli and onion into it. Don’t over heat else onions will get burnt.
- Add sliced tomatoes. Add all chopped vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add 1 glass of water and get them to a boil. Add salt as required or as per taste. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder too if you want to give different color to it. However this is optional.
- Once vegetables are cooked well, add roasted semolina into pan gradually & slowly. Stir continuously to avoid lumps inside.
- Let it boil for 3 – 4 mins more & get cooked properly. Now remove from heat at required consistency.
- In the end you can add few drops of lemon and few coriander leaves to add slight tangy taste in it.