Rava Upma / Semolina Porridge
Upma is a savory dish made from semolina. This porridge is healthy as it has less oil and is one of the best food option for kids. This is one of the diabetic friendly dish. Upma is filling and is a famous breakfast dish in almost all parts of country. This is one of the easiest item which hardly takes 5 minutes to prepare. One tip is dry roast the semolina in a frying pan and store it in air tight container. This will help in get rid of bugs as well as in reducing the cooking time. Else you can store unroasted semolina inside freezer as well to store longer. In upma no other ground spices used. The key ingredients are ginger and curry leaves which are a must for semolina porridge. Some people add a pinch of turmeric to give it a color. You can add a pinch of lentils for extra flavor but again that is optional.
Try other semolina dishes like pinwheel samosa, instant vada, instant uttapam, sooji halwa etc.
- Rava/ Semolina- 1 Cup
- Refined Oil- 4-5 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds: ¼ tea spoon
- Ginger- 1/2 inch diced
- Onion- ½ finely chopped
- Tomato- ½ finely chopped
- Curry Leaves- 6-7
- Green Chilli- 1- 2 chopped
- Salt- ¼ tea spoon or as per taste
- Take 1 cup of Rava or semolina and dry roast in a flat pan. It won’t take more than 3-4 mins. After 3mins remove from heat and keep in dry plate.
- Heat a kadai or pan & put 4 – 5 teaspoon refined oil.
- Once the oil is hot put a pinch of mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- After that put curry leaf, ginger, green Chilli and onion into it. Keep on low flame else onions will get burnt.
- Add sliced tomatoes. Sauté for 2 mins till tomatoes are soft.
- Then add 1 glass of water into kadai and get them to a boil. Add salt as required or as per taste. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder too if you want to give different color to it. However this is optional.
- Once water starts boiling, add roasted semolina into kadai but make sure to stir the mixture constantly else it will make lumps inside and will not get cooked evenly.
- Let it boil for 3 – 4 mins more and get cooked properly. Now remove from heat at required medium thick consistency.
- In the end you can add few drops of lemon and few chopped coriander leaves to add slight tangy flavour in it.