Rava Upma | Semolina Porridge
Rava Upma is basically a savory dish made with semolina or sooji. This is one of the healthiest breakfast item in India.
Upma doesn’t belong to any particular part of India. This is just an Indian breakfast recipe that is equally loved by all.
Well when I say upma it might not sound very great food option to many. But this is a cool and yummy dish. But the thing is many failed to make proper upma.
I always say this my mom makes worlds best upma. Even I’m not a great fan of upma unless n until it’s made by my mom. So I have learned few tricks and tips from her. But still the taste I get from her upma is totally different.
Upma is the quickest of all quick breakfast recipes. It takes hardly 5 minutes or even less to make this great and healthy breakfast recipe.
Why upma is a healthy breakfast?
Upma is made with semolina. This is low in fat and calorie. It contains high fiber. It’s also rich in other vitamins and minerals.
Fiber helps in proper absorption of food and helps in digestion.
High protein helps in muscle building and gives the feeling of satiety and keeps full for longer. So you don’t crave to eat more.
It has low glycemic index. Hence this is a good food for diabetic patients. This recipe has a childhood connection in our mind. This was the most common breakfast recipe for us.
In a week around 3 – 4 days we make rava upma for that “health factor”. Because my dad was diabetic and this seems to the best breakfast item for them also.
Beacuse of all these factors we get following benefits:
- Controls blood sugar level and helps in controlling diabetics.
- Provides energy
- Helps in weight loss
- Provides antioxidants
- Prevents Iron deficiency
- Maintains cholesterol level
Varieties of Upma Recipe
You can make plain simple upma recipe or even add lots of vegetables to this upma to add some more nutrition to this.
- Dry roast semolina or sooji in a pan for 2 minutes. Keep stirring continuously else it will burn.
- In 2 minutes semolina or rava will be fragrant enough. Remove from pan and keep on a dry plate.
- In the same pan heat oil. Add some mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- At the same time add some urad dal also.
- Then add chopped ginger, curry leaves, chopped onions, green chillies and saute till its translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In the meanwhile heat 2.5 cups water in a bowl.
- Add boiling hot water to the pan.
- Next add roasted semolina little at a time and keep stirring till all rava added to water in pan.
- Let it simmer for sometime till all water absorbed.
- Now turn off heat and cover pan with a lid.
- After 2 - 3 minutes fluff it with a fork.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves or grated coconut and serve with chutney or ketchup.
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.