Omelette is normally associated with non vegetarian food as it is made from eggs. But this is vegetarian version of omelette. This is made from gram flour. Tomato being the main ingredient the name is tomato omelette. In hindi its called as Chila or Besan ka chila. Same chila can be made from other flours as well like moong dal chila, aate ka chila, sprouts chila etc.
While making tomato omlette we can also add variation to it. Like instead of tomato grated potato or grated boiled potatoes are used and they are crispier and tasty dish.
- Gram flour/ Besan- 1 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Garlic – 5 crushed
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 finely chopped
- Coriander– 1tbsp chopped
- Green Chilly – 2 chopped
- Curry Leaves- 6-7 optional
- Oil – 7-8 Tbsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Mix 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of water to bring a medium thick consistent batter. Add salt as per taste. You can adjust the consistency with extra flour as required.
- Add all finely chopped onion, ginger, chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves into the batter and mix properly.
- Keep the pan on medium flame. Put one tbsp oil on it. When oil is hot add one ladle batter on it and spread evenly as we do in dosa. Keep the flame in low as it will take time to cook properly. Keep on checking with a fork or spatula and turn it to the other side. Let it cook for 3-4 mins.
- Remove from heat if it’s done completely. One tomato omelette will not take more than 4-5 minutes to get cooked in low to medium heat.
- Garnish and serve with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup and bread toast.