Tomato Omelette is a vegetarian omelette and gluten free recipe. Sometimes I think “why this is called as omelette?” Because when we say omelette, what comes to our mind is “eggs”. May be the same color or so. If you know the answer of this “why” then please comment below.
This is vegetarian version of omelette. This is made from gram flour. Tomato being the main ingredient the name is tomato omelette. In hindi its called as Chilla or cheela or Besan ka chilla. Same chilla can be made from other flours as well like moong dal chilla, aate ka chilla, sprouts chilla etc. Basically these are crepes or savory pancakes made from flours which are flavoured with onion, tomato and other aromatic spices.
While making tomato omlette we can also add variation to it. Like instead of tomato grated potato or grated boiled potatoes are used and they are crispier and tasty dish.
Serve these chilla with breads as sandwich. This will be more filling. I make these tomato omelette sandwich for my kid’s tiffin box.
Recipe Card for Tomato Omelette or Besan Chilla/ cheela
Tomato Omelette/ Besan Cheela
- 1 cup Gram flour/ Besan
- 1 tsp Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic (crushed finely)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 large Tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander– 1tbsp chopped finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Hing or asafoetida
For Shallow frying
- 6 - 7 tbsp Refined Oil
- Mix all ingredients mentioned above (except oil) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup water gradually and stir well. Make a smooth flowing batter. Make sure the batter is lumps free.
- Keep the pan on medium flame. Put one tbsp oil on it. When oil is hot put one ladle batter on it and spread evenly and lightly so that it won't break..
- Cook it on low flame else it will turn brown at bottom without getting cooked evenly. it will take time to cook properly
- Drizzle some oil from surrounding and let it turn color slightly on top of cheela.
- Flip it to the other side. Let it cook for 3 mins more.
- Remove from heat if it’s done completely. One tomato omelette will not take more than 5 minutes to get cooked in low to medium heat.
- Garnish and serve with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup and bread toast.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.