Tandoori Roti on Tawa | Tandoori Roti on Stove Top
Tandoori Roti on Tawa | Tandoori Roti on Stove Top recipe. Here this roti is prepared without oven or tandoor.
Tandoori roti is a kind of Indian flatbread only. But the method it’s prepared makes it different. It’s different in texture-wise as well as in taste also.
Originally this roti is cooked in large tandoors and hence it has a smoky charred aroma in it.
This is very much loved in North India. If you travel on roadways especially in North part of our country there are street-side restaurants which are known as “Dhaba”. .
Well, you will get this in any restaurants also, but I just love the dhaba ones
What is the difference between chapati & tandoori roti?
Chapati is light and thin. Tandoori roti is thicker than that of the chapati.
Chapati is cooked on Tawa on the stovetop whereas tandoori roti is cooked in tandoor or oven.
This one is cooked on Tawa and stovetop giving this a burnt smoky flavor similar to authentic ones
How to make tandoori roti on Tawa?
In a mixing bowl take wheat flour and salt. Mix well. Now add water little by little and knead this to a dough. The dough should be the same as that of roti and paratha dough.
Take out a large ball-sized portion and roll it evenly with the help of a rolling pin and board. Keep it even and thick.
Now on the top-end brush it with water.
Heat tawa on medium-high heat. Once tawa is hot enough, place the wet side of roti on tawa so that it will stick to it.
Then you will see the roti is puffing.
Now invert the tawa so that putting roti on direct flame. It will puff up and be careful as it might catch fire. When it catches fire remove to side and again put in flame. Make sure all sides cooked nicely and evenly.
Remove from heat and tawa. You might need to scratch out the base little as it’s sticked to the tawa.
Now apply ghee on top and serve hot.
Tandoori Roti on Tawa
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, salt and oil.
- Mix well.
- Add little water gradually and knead into a dough.
- Knead well for 3- 5 minutes.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes covering with a moist cloth.
- Then take out large ball sized dough and roll it with the help of a rolling pin and board.
- On top layer brush some water.
- Heat tawa.
- Place moist part on tawa.
- Cook for 2 minutes or till it puffs slightly.
- Now invert the tawa so that roti is placed above the direct fire.
- It will puff up completely.
- If roti catches some fire remove from direct fire and again cook all sides equally.
- Remove from tawa and apply melted butter or ghee on top.
- Serve hot with any curry of choice.
Here I would request you to read other curries to serve with this, like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER