Sprouted Brown Peas Fritters
These sprouted brown peas fritters are one of the healthier alternative to the regular fritters. Though its deep fried, but again the brown peas are so much rich in protein and fiber it will add more benefits. You can always bake them as mini crepes or can make shallow fried pancakes from them.
Well I was not planning to make any fritters from them. Since I’m on low carb diet now-a-days I wanted to make salad from them. But you know when it monsoon and your family members crave for some snacking to compliment the hot ginger tea, you have to find out some better and healthier option. There comes my sprouted brown peas fritters for the tea time.
To make sprouts you need the soaked pulses/ legumes in humid condition. So after soaking the peas for good enough time preferable over night, remove from water and pat dry with dry kitchen towel. then wrap it with dry napkin or even papers are good in this case. Keep it in dry humid place to germinate and get sprouted. However this is a time taking process.
You can find sprouted ones in your local market if you want to make some unplanned dishes (just like I did). Okay one thing to keep in mind while making batter, don’t add water to the sprouted peas else you will end up adding more flour for binding.
Once you have the sprouted peas, this process is very. As simple as making other fritters. This recipe is quite similar to the falafel we make. Read the tri-color falafel recipe here and sesame falafel recipe here.
Hmm you can call this fritters as falafel also as both beans belongs to same family. Up to you what you want to name it. It’s as yummy as falafel or any fritters with loads of protein and fiber. it tastes great with green coriander chutney.
Lets make these yummy fritters from sprouted brown peas.
Sprouted Brown peas Fritters
- 100 gms brown peas sprouted
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 4 Garlic pods
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp Gram Flour
- 1 cup Oil for deep frying
- Take sprouted peas. and grind them to fine paste adding onion and garlic. Add gram flour to get that perfect consistency. Also add in all spices and mix well. Prepare a medium thick batter. Beat the batter with help of spoon or hand for 1 - 2 minute. This will make the fritters softer.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop small ball sized batter in to it. Fry on medium to high flame. Remove from oil when they turn light brown in colour.
- Serve hot with green coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.