Soya Chunks kabab | Soya Cutlet | Soya Peas Cutlet with step by step photos.
This is one protein rich appetizer. It’s vegan and gluten free.
Soya chunks kabab was in my to-do list since long. Finally I made that. This is a super easy and quick kabab recipe.
Also soya chunks are best meat replacement. It’s rich in protein. The protein content in soya is even higher than that of lentils. So you must include this in your diet at least twice in a week.
You can make super quick soyabean curry or soya chunks pulao in your everyday food.
There are three types of soya chunks available in market. One is larger chunks, another is in small size mini chunks, and third one is as granules.
For this recipe you can take any variety. I have taken larger chunks as that was available with me. But best is mini granules.
Process will be same but with larger chunks there is one more step that after soaking, I had to mince the chunks to smaller pieces. You can do that in food processor or regular blender.
Put soaked and squeezed chunks in processor and pulse once to get small granules. That’s it. You are done.
Also you can add any other vegetables also to this kabab. I have added green peas to get that nice green tint in my kabab. You can add crumbled paneer, grated carrots, cabbage etc.
When we insert seekh or skewer it’s called as seekh kabab. Originally seekh kabab is a kebab that is made with minced meat. But we can replace that meat with vegetable mixture.
I wanted to give it a shape of seekh kabab but ended up making discs like cutlet. So things are same only shaping is different for both the sames.
Well for binding I’m using bread crumbs. But you can also use roasted besan or gram flour for this recipe. So again with gram flour the kabab will be gluten free.
Recipe Card For Soya Chunks Kabab
Soya Chunks Kabab
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup soya granules
- 1/4 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp crushed ginger and garlic
- oil to shallow fry or pan fry or grill
- Boil potatoes and green peas.
- Soak soya chunks in hot water with a pinch of salt.
- After 5 minutes remove the chunks from water and wash it in fresh water 2 – 3 times.
- Then squeeze out all water from the chunks.
- Put it in a blender or food processor and pulse it once or twice till chunks is minced
- Mash potatoes and add roughly mashed peas and minced soya granules in a mixing bowl.
- Add all spices and bread crumbs to the mixing bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well and make small balls out of it.
- Shape them into round disc like shape.
- Heat oil in a pan or grill pan.
- Pan fry or shallow fry the patties.
- Don't overcrowd the pan. Place 3 – 4 patties.
- Flip them to other side and make sure all sides are equally done.
- Remove from pan when it's golden and fried.
- Place on paper napkin to get rid of excess oil.
- Serve them hot with ketchup or mint chutney.
- To make this gluten free, used 2 tbsp roasted gram flour in place of breadcrumbs.
- You can also bake the kabab in oven at 220 C for 15 minutes or till it’s cooked and golden brown.
How to make soya kabab?
If you have soya granules then skip this step and directly add to the mixing bowl with mashed potatoes and peas.
Preparing Soya Granules From Soya Chunks
Soak soya granules in boiling water for 5 minutes covered with a lid. Add a pinch of salt as well. After 5 minutes remove from hot water and wash it with cold water 2 to 3 times. Squeeze out every time to remove that foamy water. Squeeze out all water and put it in a blender. Pulse it once or twice till you get minced chunks.
Take boiled and mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl. Add blanched peas and minced soya chunks.
Now add bread crumbs and all spices and salt to the mixture. Mix all ingredients. Now divide it into equal portions.
Grease your palms and shape it into discs or cutlet.
You can also coat this with bread crumbs to add little more crisp. For that make a slurry with cornflour and water. Dip the kabab in slurry and then roll it on bread crumbs.
However this step is totally optional. You may skip and directly shallow fry the kababs as it already has bread crumbs and potatoes with binding agent.
Heat oil in a pan and place the cutlet pieces on pan. Shallow fry the kabab till golden and crisp. Keep flame on medium high flame.
Flip to other side carefully after 3 – 4 minutes so that one side is fully cooked and turns golden in color. Pan fry both sides equally.
Remove from pan once done and place on paper napkin to soak excess oil. Serve with ketchup or mint chutney and sliced pickled onions.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER