South Indian Idli Recipe
Idli and sambar are originated from the southern part of our country and is considered their staple food. But it’s cooked and loved in every part of the country.
This is very light and low-calorie food. Mainly this is served as a breakfast item. Coconut chutney also served along with this. This is an easy and simple recipe. This is made from rice and urad dal.
Main part of making soft and spongy idli is fermentation of batter. Once you make the batter, keep it in a warm place to ferment for 6 – 8 hrs.
There are few variations to the traditional idli. We can stuff potatoes or paneer or veggies in this and also you would love the fried version of the same. Again the flour used is also modified in different varieties. Semolina, Ragi, Oats are used to make varieties.
These are again helpful in weight-loss or maintenance as they are low-calorie food. Moreover, it’s a healthy breakfast option that you can trust.
Or read my healthy breakfast collections on blog.
Recipe Card for Idli
South Indian Idli
- Wash and soak rice and black gram (urad dal) for 5 -6 hours.
- Then grind them to a fine paste.
- Make sure you to grind rice and dal separately. Grind to a thick paste.
- Keep it overnight (8 - 10 hrs) for fermentation.
- Adjust the consistency by adding water but be careful while adding water as we need a medium thick batter.
- Whisk the batter for 5 minutes.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil and drop 1 tbsp batter into the mould.
- Heat 2.5 glass of water on a steamer.
- Place the mold in a steamer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Turn off the gas. Remove moulds from the steamer.
- Let it cool for some time. Then with the help of a knife or spoon scrape the edges from the mould.
- Keep the idlis in a dry plate. Server with sambar & chutney
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.