Idli and sambar is originated from southern part of our country and is considered their staple food. But its cooked and loved in every part of country. This is very light and low calorie food. Mainly this is served as breakfast item. Coconut chutney also served along with Idli and sambar. This is easy and simple recipe. Its made from rice and urad dal. Steamer is used to cook the idli. The batter is fermented for 4 -5 hours. If you want fresh you can skip and make from fresh batter.
There are few variations to the traditional idli. We can name them as stuffed idli, vegetable idli, fried idli etc. Again the flour used are also modified in different varieties. Semolina, Raagi, Oats are used to make varieties.
These are again helpful in weight-loss or maintenance as they are low calorie food.
Soth Indian Idli
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/3 cup Dhuli Urad Dal (skin less black gram)
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash and soak rice and black gram (urad dal) for 5 -6 hours. Then grind them to fine paste. Make sure you to grind them separately. Grind to a thick paste. Keep it overnight for fermentation.
- Adjust the consistency by adding water but be careful while adding batter as we need thick batter. whisk the batter for 2 minutes.
- Greese the idli moulds with oil and drop 1 tbsp batter into the mould. Heat 2.5 glass of water on a steamer. Place the mould in steamer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- turn off the gas. Remove moulds from the steamer. Let it cool for sometime. Then with help of knife or spoon scrape the edges from the mould. Keep the idlis in a dry plate. Server with samber & chutney