Sandwich Uttapam | Masala Uttapam Sandwich recipe with step-by-step instructions.
This is next version of my masala uttapam. In this uttapam i have stuffed potato masala between two layers of batter. There are different ways to prepare such sandwich uttapam. You can choose your stuffings as per your choice.
This is an easy dish and one of the best filling breakfast recipe. Also this is a kid friendly recipe.
Normally I make such dish for my weekend breakfast but if I plan to make this for my kid’s tiffin box then I do make all preparation from night. i.e preparing batter and potato mixture. So only job to do in morning is just spread the batter and make uttapam for tiffin box.
Read my other similar recipes
Rava Dosa (Instant Dosa)
Read similar healthy tiffin box recipes for kids. e.g. paneer corn seekh kabab, potato lollipop, veg shammi kabab, spinach corn sandwich, stuffed bread roll, cheesy potato sandwich, aloo kachori, stuffed paratha like aloo paratha, gobi paratha, paneer paratha.
How to prepare batter for sandwich uttapam?
The batter used for this recipe is same as we use for dosa and idli. It’s mixture of rice and lentils. Read full recipe of dosa batter in my post of masala dosa.
What alternative I can use in place of regular dosa batter?
You can make instant uttapam from rava or semolina, other millet flour as well. Add curd to bring in that tanginess in uttapam.
Recipe Card For Sandwich Uttapam
- 1 kg idli/ dosa batter
- 10 – 12 tsp refined oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp sambar masala
- 5-6 boiled potatoes
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion chopped or sliced
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sambar masala
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
Making Potato Stuffing
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, ginger, green chillies, onion and saute till translucent.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, sambar masala.
- Now add mashed potatoes.
- Mix well.
- Now add 1/4 cup water and simmer for a minute.
- Keep the consistency mushy so that it will be easy to spread.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Potato stuffing is ready.
Preparing Sandwich Uttapam
- Heat dosa tawa on stovetop (medium to low heat).
- Grease tawa with little oil.
- Take 1 laddle batter and spread on tawa.
- Spread batter keeping the circle little thicker.
- Immediately sprinkle some sambar masala and chopped onion.
- Place 2 – 3 tbsp potato stuffing and spread lightly.
- On top of it put 1 laddle batter more and spread it evenly covering the stuffing.
- When the base layer is cooked it will start leaving tawa.
- Now carefully flip the uttapam and cook top layer for sometime.
- Drop 1 tsp oil from sides.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- keep stuffing little mushy else it will be difficult to stuff and spread on hot tawa.
- You need to spread quickly so that it will layered well on top.
How to make Sandwich Uttapam?
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let it crackle for sometime.
Add chopped ginger, curry leaves, green chillies, onion and saute till translucent. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sambar masala, salt and mashed potatoes.
Then add 1/4 cup water to make this little mushy so that it will be easier to spread on uttapam.
Turn off heat at desired consistency. Add some chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Preparing Layered Uttapam
Heat one flat pan or dosa tawa.
Grease it with oil with help of tissue paper or brinjal crown or halved onion.
Spread 1 ladleful batter on tawa.
Spread it gently with help of back side of ladle evenly thick circle. (make sure to keep on low flame)
Quickly sprinkle chopped onion, green chilli & tomato chopped and some sambar masala or garam masala.
Immediately put 2 – 3 tbsp potato mixture and spread it evenly with help of a spatula or even with a soon.
Now the last step is to pour one ladleful of batter on top of potato layer and spread evenly covering the potato stuffing between two layers of batter.
You may cover tawa with a concave lid so that top layer will get cooked quickly. Keep flame on medium flame.
Sprinkle some garam masala or sambar masala on top.
When base is cooked it starts leaving tawa. Drizzle some oil from sides .
Then flip to the other side and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. In this stage you can keep flame on medium to high to get little crispy layers.
Sandwich Uttapam is ready. Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER