Sabudana Vada – Fasting Recipe
This is basically a fasting recipe. Other than that sabudana vada is an appetizer and very good food for kids also. Sabudana or tapioca pearls is rich in starch and hence good for kids for weight gain.
Benefits of Sabudana
Sabudana or tapioca pearls is a high carb food. It’s free from common allergans. This is gluten free, nut free and grain free. So it won’t cause people with celiac disease, gluten sensitivity and nut sensitivity. It is a source of energy also supports weight gain and that is why this is one good food for babies and toddlers. It’s also has good amount of iron, calcium, manganese and folate. This makes sabudana superfood for kids.
Sabudana for Indian Fasting Recipe
India is a place of spiritual significance and hence there are different culture and custom. Fasting is a sign of devotion and our faith on God and the rituals. Many people observe fasting on different days of week Like Monday for Lord Shiva, Tuesday for Lord Hanumaan, Ganapathi, Thurseday for Jupiter and Lord Vishnu, Friday for Goddess Laxmi, Saturday for Lord Shani and Sunday for Sun planet. And apart from these days, there are many other fasting we observe in India like Navratri, Shivratri, Janmashtami, Sankashti etc etc. There are many such days when people refrain themselves from eating any food other than satvik food. Very few foods are allowed. Sabudana is one of those foods. This is heavy and keeps you full for longer.
How to make sabudana vada
Sabudana vada is really easy to make and takes only few minutes to make this. It requires very few ingredients and makes yummy crispy yet soft vadas. Things to take care if you are planning to make vadas.
Soak sabudana for 5 – 6 hours and then remove all water and air dry for some time. Don’t add more potatoes, else the vada may break in hot oil. Use only rock salt if making for fasting days. Remove the ingredient that you don’t eat during fasting. Crushed roasted peanuts can be used but it’s not compulsory. Lastly those who are looking for low carb food, this is a complete no for them as it’s major source of carb and will add weight gain.
Sabudana Vada For Fasting
- 1 cup Sabudana
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Rock Salt
- 1 cup Refined Oil
- Wash and soak sabudana for 5 - 6 hrs. Drain out water and air dry on a clean plate. Dry for 30 minutes to 1 hr.
- Boil potatoes for 5 whistles or till completely boiled. For better results boil them well in advance and cool before adding to other ingredients. It will help in binding properly.
- Once cold, mash the potatoes completely and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix all ingredients and mix them well. Divide into equal size balls. Give them shape of patties by pressing lightly with palms. Press the edges also.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Put the vada into hot oil and deep fry till both ends are crisp and light brown in color
- Serve them with curd or tea as snacks.