Sabudana Vada – Fasting Recipe
This is basically a fasting recipe in India. Other than that sabudana vada is a delicious appetizer and very good food for kids also. Sabudana or tapioca pearls is rich in starch and hence good for kids and toddlers for weight gain.
Read my sabudana kheer recipe which is another good food for toddlers.
Benefits of Sabudana
Sabudana or tapioca pearls is a high carb food. It’s free from common allergens. This is gluten free, nut free and grain free.
So it won’t cause people with celiac disease, gluten sensitivity and nut sensitivity. It is a source of energy also supports weight gain and that is why this is one good food for babies and toddlers.
It has good amount of iron, calcium, manganese and folate. This makes sabudana superfood for kids and toddlers.
Sabudana for Indian Fasting Recipe
India is a place of spiritual significance and hence there are different culture and custom. Fasting is a sign of devotion and our faith on God and the rituals. Many people observe fasting on different days of week.
And apart from these week days, there are many other fasting we observe in India like Navratri, Shivratri, Janmashtami, Sankashti etc etc.
There are many such days when people refrain themselves from eating any food other than satvik food. Very few foods are allowed. Sabudana is one of those foods. This is heavy and keeps you full for longer.
How to make sabudana vada
Sabudana vada is really easy to make and takes only few minutes to make this. It requires very few ingredients and makes yummy crispy yet soft vadas.
Things to take care if you are planning to make vadas:
- Soak sabudana for 6 hours and then remove all water and air dry for some time.
- Don’t add more potatoes, else the vada may break in hot oil. Use only rock salt if making for fasting days.
- Remove the ingredient that you don’t eat during fasting.
- Crushed roasted peanuts can be used but it’s not compulsory.
Lastly those who are looking for low carb food, this is a complete no for them as it’s a high carb snack and over-eating will add to weight gain.
Recipe Card for Sabudana Vada
Sabudana Vada For Fasting
- 1 cup Sabudana
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Rock Salt
- 1 cup Refined Oil
- Wash and soak sabudana for 5 – 6 hrs. Drain out water and air dry on a clean plate. Dry for 30 minutes to 1 hr.
- Boil potatoes for 5 whistles or till completely boiled. For better results boil them well in advance and cool before adding to other ingredients. It will help in binding properly.
- Once cold, mash the potatoes completely and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix all ingredients and mix them well. Divide into equal size balls. Give them shape of patties by pressing lightly with palms. Press the edges also.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Put the vada into hot oil and deep fry till both ends are crisp and light brown in color
- Serve them with curd or tea as snacks.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.