Sabudana khichdi, commonly known as sago khichdi is an Indian dish made from soaked sabudana or tapioca pearls. It is a fasting food which is prepared during fasting like Navratra, Sankashti etc. This is a staple food in western part of our country. Apart from fasting food this is an easy to make snacking option. The main part is soaking the pearls in right way. I prefer soaking it over night or minimum 4 – 5 hours for better taste.
If you are looking for more dishes for fasting then check out Dahi Aaloo, Aaloo Tomato, Shinghade Ki Puri, Kuttu Ki Tikki, Kuttu ke Pakode, Shinghade ki pakode, Sama Rice Kheer, Sama Rice Khichdi etc.
This is vegan and gluten free recipe. Ground nuts and potatoes are main ingredients apart from sabudana.
The method I’ve mentioned here is typical Maharashtrian method of Sabudana Khichdi as I came across this dish in Maharashtra. Sabudana khichdi is heavy for tummy and one serving will keep you full for 4 to 5 hours. Generally its served with curd or sweet curd. I don’t use some other ingredients like curry leaves, coriander leaves. So I have skipped them in the recipe. You can add if you eat them on fasting days.
Sabudana is full of carbohydrate and energy and hence a great food option for toddlers and kids. My kid love this sabudana khichdi. So when I prepare for him I skip green chillies. For toddlers you can prepare sweet porridge from sabudana. This is a full of carbohydrate and hence is a source of energy and one of the best food for kids.
So lets make this traditional Maharashtrian style sabudana khichdi.
- 2 Potatoes Boiled & Diced
- 1/2 Cup Sabudana Soaked for 4 - 5 hrs
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Rock Salt
- Green Chilli – 1 – 2 finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium flame. Remove from heat and allow them to cool. Then grind 2 tbsp peanuts to coarse powder. You can use rolling board and pin for this.
- Soak the sabudana for 4 - 5 hours or over night. Then remove excess water with help of colander. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the soaked sabudana and mix them well.
- Heat 4 - 5 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds to the hot oil and let it crackle. Add chopped chillies and diced potatoes. If using raw potatoes then cover the pan with lid for 5 - 7 minutes till its cooked. Add rest 1/2 tsp salt to potatoes.
- Once potatoes are cooked properly, add the soaked sabudana and crushed peanuts and mix well. Add rest 1 tbsp roasted peanuts to it as well. Add chopped coriander leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve with sweet curd.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.