Sabudana Khichdi Indian Fasting Recipe
Sabudana khichdi, commonly known as sago khichdi is an Indian dish made from soaked sabudana or tapioca pearls. It is a fasting food which is prepared during fasting like Navratri, Sankashti, Mahashivratri, Ekadashi, Purnima etc etc. This is a staple falahar food in western part of our country. Apart from fasting food this is an easy to make snacking option.
The main part is soaking sabudana in right way.
Soak sabudana overnight. Don’t add more water. If you are taking 1 cup water soak it in 1 cup water. If you see there is still some water left after sabudana is soaked well, then strain out excess water and air dry sabudana for 5 minutes by spreading it on a clean plate.
Add powdered roasted peanuts, salt to the soaked sabudana.
If you are looking for more dishes for fasting then check out Dahi Aaloo, Aaloo Tomato, Shinghade Ki Puri, Kuttu Ki Tikki, Kuttu ke Pakode, Shinghade ki pakode, Sama Rice Kheer, Sama Rice Khichdi etc.
This is vegan and gluten free recipe. Ground nuts and potatoes are main ingredients apart from sabudana.
The method I’ve mentioned here is typical Maharashtrian method of Sabudana Khichdi as I came across this dish in Maharashtra.
Sabudana khichdi is heavy for tummy and one serving will keep you full for 4 to 5 hours. Generally this is served with curd or sweet curd. I don’t use some other ingredients like curry leaves, coriander leaves. But I have added here as these are allowed in falahar. You can add or skip as per your own rules for fasting days.
Sabudana is full of carbohydrate and energy and hence a great food option for toddlers and kids. My kid love this sabudana khichdi. So when I prepare for him I skip green chillies. For toddlers you can prepare sweet porridge from sabudana. This is a full of carbohydrate and hence is a source of energy and one of the best food for kids.
- 2 Potatoes Boiled & Diced
- 1/2 Cup Sabudana Soaked for 4 - 5 hrs
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Rock Salt
- Green Chilli – 1 – 2 finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium flame. Remove from heat and allow them to cool. Then grind 2 tbsp peanuts to coarse powder. You can use rolling board and pin for this.
- Soak the sabudana for 4 - 5 hours or over night. Then remove excess water with help of colander. Add 1/2 tsp salt to the soaked sabudana and mix them well.
- Heat 4 - 5 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds to the hot oil and let it crackle. Add chopped chillies and diced potatoes. If using raw potatoes then cover the pan with lid for 5 - 7 minutes till its cooked. Add rest 1/2 tsp salt to potatoes.
- Once potatoes are cooked properly, add the soaked sabudana and crushed peanuts and mix well. Add rest 1 tbsp roasted peanuts to it as well. Add chopped coriander leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve with sweet curd.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.