Sarson Ka Saag | Sarson Da Saag Recipe
Sarson ka saag is a quintessential Punjabi dish and one of the must-try dish of chilled winters. Mustard greens or sarson ka saag are normally available only during winter season. So in winters I try to make them as many times as possible. I just love all green leafy vegetables. Spinach, fenugreek, radish leaves, mustard greens, bathua or pigweed, amaranth leaves and so on all have their own flavors but they are equally delicious. Well, green leafy vegetables are full of nutritions. They are low in fat and low in carb. Mustard leaves are full of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C. The high anti oxidants will keep your skin healthy. So moreover for good and healthy skin, green leafy vegetables are real boon of nature.
Benefits of Mustard Greens:
- It’s high in anti-oxidants
- Detoxifies liver and blood
- Decreases bad cholesterol
- Lowers risk of heart disease and cancer
So these are just a few of the large list why one should eat these mustard greens.
Sarson Ka Saag And Keto Diet
Well, And the good news is that this sarson ka saag is perfect for keto diet. Since in keto diet indefinite amount of green vegetables are allowed with some fat as well, you can definitely add this keto friendly sarson ka saag recipe to your diet menu. These green vegetables are zero in carb and high in fiber, hence highly recommended in diet. Only thing to take care is reduce amount of coconut you will use for this keto sarson ka saag recipe.
How to Make Sarson Ka Saag
Sarson ka saag is prepared by mixing some other leafy vegetables like spinach and bathua (pigweed). Normally the taste of sarson leaves is slightly bitter. So to balance the taste, I have added spinach leaves, bathua or pigweed leaves along with mustard leaves. You can also add radish leaves, methi or fenugreek leaves to the mixed greens. The taste of all green leaves is so divine when they are cooked together. It’s always kind of mixed saag as apart from mustard leaves or sarson ka saag we add other green leafy vegetables to it.
While cooking this dish, the main time consuming part was cleaning and chopping. If you will see in restaurants, the saag is normally a pureed one. But I never puree it. So in that case we have to fine chop them so that there won’t be any larger chunks and they can be easily mashed with laddle or manual blenders. You can chop them with food processor or chopper as well.
These greens need to be cleaned properly as they have lots of dirts and soil on leaves. So take a large vessel filled with water. Soak the leaves and leave for 2 – 3 minutes so that the dirt will settle down at bottom. Remove them to another clean vessel. Repeat this for at least 3 times.
Sarson ka saag is best combined with makke ki roti. It’s a heavenly combination infact. However I have made tandoori roti with this saag and this was also a great combination I must say. You can add variation to this authentic sarson ka saag by adding extra paneer cubes or potato cubes.
Different Methods of Preparation of Sarson ka Saag
- Different people prepare this in different ways. I have seen in many places, they boil the leaves with onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and then add tampering to it. But I do make it in a different way. I have sauteed the onion and garlic first and then added green leaves and spices. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- You may roughly puree the cooked mixture. But I have not pureed them.
- After it’s done, add corn flour or makke ki atta to the cooked saag. This will enhance the consistency. I have added roasted gram flour. you can also add whole wheat flour.
Punjabi Sarson Ka Saag | Sarson Da Saag Recipe
- 2 bunch sarson / mustard leaves
- 1 bunch palak / spinach
- 1 bunch bathua
- 1 large Onion
- 10 Garlic pods
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 inch Ginger minced
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp ghee/ butter
- Wash all the leaves thoroughly 2 - 3 times. Then chop it finely.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add chopped garlic and chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Then add all dry spices and mix well. To avoid burning of spices, add little water to it.
- Season with salt. Add washed chopped green leaves. Add 1 cup water and close lid of cooker. Cook for 2 whistles. Then turn off gas and wait till pressure released.
- Once lid opens turn on the gas and cook on low flame. At this point, add roasted gram flour or corn flour. Mix well using a laddle.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. In the end if you wish, add extra tampering of chopped garlic and red chili powder with ghee. Serve hot with roti & extra tsp ghee on top of it.
- If you have methi, or radish leaves then add that also.
- Clean the leaves properly and wash 4 - 5 times to remove the dirt.
- If you want to puree, then chop it roughly. Otherwise chop finely.
- Add corn flour or gram flour or wheat flour to after lid opens. To avoid any lumps, mix the flour with 2 - 3 tbsp water and mix well.
- I dry roast gram flour before adding it to the prepared saag. Then cook on slow flame.
- This is vegan sarson ka saag recipe. If you are on Keto diet, just avoid adding onion or add in limited quantity.
- If you want you can serve with 1 tsp fresh cream for that extra richness.